Chapter 24

He watches the servant girl slip through the courtyard, some shape perched on her shoulders. She keeps to the shadows, a strange thing for her to do if sent on a quest for the princess. Very suspicious. Especially this early in the morning. Her lady may not even be awake yet, let alone actively giving her servant a task that requires her to sneak around.

What could the servant be up to? He follows, keeping out of sight as she makes a move to turn back at one point. She slows when torchlight begins to flicker ahead of them, and he does the same. In a quick motion, she crouches before the two priests farther ahead can notice her. Clearly, she's doing something she shouldn't be and wishes not to be seen.

He's afraid it's too late for her, however. He moves close enough that he himself is just out of range of the conversation the girl is listening to, but where he can still keep an eye on her. After all, he is only a guard, and a fairly new one at that. He has no right to listen to the secrets of those the Gods speak to.

The conversation turns out to be a swift one, or perhaps it only seems such due to his own focus on the strange servant. When one of the priests move to walk in his direction, he watches as the girl ducks deeper into the shadows to let the priest pass by. At the same time, he himself moves back around the corner and waits until the priest is just about to round it before he starts moving forward again, as if he was just making his rounds.

He dips his head to the priest, and the man nods back, a flicker of fear in his eyes. Clearly, it is a sensitive topic they had been discussing and the priest wouldn't want anyone to have overheard it. He approaches the girl's hiding place, ready to grab her and bring her before someone with the power to prosecute her, but he finds her shadowy hiding place to be empty, as if she was never there. He curses under his breath to himself.

If she is gone, he can't confront her. She may be the princess' servant, but all evidence points to her being a lesser noble, a distant relative to the royal family. Her word will hold far more weight than his in a confrontation, and he has no evidence to stack against her. Well, he may not have any now, but he will be watching and waiting, and she didn't see him. She couldn't possibly have known he was there, and so she won't be on her guard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh no. Who do you think caught Abayomi in the act? Will she be alright? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out

Egyptian TimewaveOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara