Chapter 21

Abayomi pops another piece of the strange candy-like substance in her mouth, running her tongue over her teeth when the sweet sticks to them.

"Remind me, what is this again?"

Anippe, who had been about to pop the last piece on the plate into her mouth, pauses. "It is mallow root that's been boiled and combined with honey. If you desire to know more, the cooks would be better to ask."

Abayomi blinks. Mallow root. Marshmallows? This is where they came from, this is how they used to be made? One way to find out, she supposes.

"Do you happen to know where mallows grow?"

"The . . . marsh? Why?"

"No reason." Okay, definitely marshmallows.

When Anippe is done with her sweet, she pushes the plate off to the side and stands, walking across the room to a chest. Abayomi squints at her.

"What are you doing?"

Anippe laughs, calling back over her shoulder. "Getting you some clothes. What you have works remarkably well, but you can blend in a bit better than that, would you not think so?"

Abayomi glances down at her outfit, fingering the fabric. She supposes the cut is a bit off, but it's not terrible, is it?

"What would you suggest?"

"It really depends on what role you will be playing until Kahotep has more answers for you, but pretending that you are my personal servant or attendant would likely be safest. Unless you are opposed to that?"

"That sounds agreeable to me, but won't someone get suspicious?"

Anippe shakes her head, pulling something from the chest. "Oh no. I don't currently have one at the moment, and everyone has been expecting me to replace my last one for a while now. They will assume that I have finally found someone suitable for the position."

"What do the attendants wear?"

"A dress similar to what i'm currently wearing, of fine quality. Not very much jewelry, if anything at all."
Abayomi reaches up to touch the beads of the collar necklace. "Then wouldn't this be suspicious?"

"If anyone looks too closely, then yes. They would find something odd about how similar it is to my own. But unless anyone does that, you should be able to get away with it. You could always be passed off as a lesser noble cousin who came to serve me, and that would account for the quality of it." Anippe pauses, twisting back to look at Abayomi with her lips tightly pressed together. "The headscarf may be a bit harder to explain away while your around the palace, though. You're free to wear it inside my chambers, if you would like to do so."

Abayomi frowns, her gaze darting towards the stretch of cloth lying innocently on the end of Anippe's bed. "If it would be safer, I could abstain from wearing it for the time being when outside, and you needn't need to worry about me wearing it inside, though I thank you for the offer."

Anippe sits back on her heels. "Do you not wear it inside? You were in the corridors."

Abayomi can't help but snort softly. "When I said inside I meant within your rooms. It's only men that it would really be worn around, anyways. Does that make sense?"

"Not really, but I don't have your cultural context, do I?"

"I suppose that's true."

"Now-"

Abayomi jumps in surprise when Anippe rises to her feet, having been expecting the other girl to keep rummaging through the chest for a few more moments. Anippe catches the tail end of the movement when she turns around, one eyebrow lifting up.

"Are you alright?"

Abayomi can practically feel her cheeks darkening as she flushes in embarassment. "Yes, sorry. Was a bit startled."

"I see. Well, I think I found something for you that would suit."

Anippe holds out a bundle of white fabric, pushing it into Abayomi's hands when she is too slow to take it.

"Go on, try it on! We look to be of similar size, and I know this garment still fits me."

Abayomi sheds her old garment for the new dress, smiling in relief when the sleeves and hem cover everything they need to cover. She turns back to Anippe and does a slow spin, fingers smoothing over the material over her stomach, feeling how fine in quality the linen is.

"How do I look?"

"You look lovely. It's perfect for balancing between noble and maidservant."

"That's good."

"Yes, it is. Now, I suppose I should tell you of the duties you may have to fulfill to avoid suspicion, should I not? You likely will not have a need to do them, I know you do not truly fill the role of a servant, but-"

"Hey, I understand. It's keeping the cover, right?"

Anippe smiles. "Yes. Quite so. The problem times are in the mornings, when I am brought my breakfast, and in the evenings when I go to dinner. . ."

Abayomi sits back and lets Anippe detail the plan and her daily routine, an ear out for any potential pitfalls.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think? Will everything go well? How long do you think Abayomi will be here? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out