Chapter 37

When Abayomi opens the door and slips inside Anippe's chambers, she is met by the sound of music. Music that abruptly cuts off with a harsh note. Moments later, Anippe enters her view with a knife held in her hand. Abayomi raises her eyebrow at the princess.

"Were you going to stab me?"

Anippe gives her an embarrassed smile. "I didn't know it was you! The plan was for you to spend the rest of the day in the kitchens." She pauses a heartbeat later, gaze narrowing in on the bowl in Abayomi's hands. "What's that?"

"Mallow root."

"Did you come up just to bring me a treat?"

Abayomi laughs. "Well, the mallow root is for you, but I'm back up here to stay."

"Did something happen while you were in the kitchens?"

"The guards just came in and started questioning people, and one of them got mad at me for chatting instead of bringing you your food so he kinda kicked me out."

Anippe just stares at her. "What?"

"You heard me. What were you playing?"

Anippe points a finger at her. "Don't change the subject. They were questioning people?"

"Yes? They said it was routine."

The princess snorts. "It's not. Do you think that perhaps this is them following their plan to search for corruption within the palace?"

"I don't see why it couldn't be. But enough of that. Please tell me what you were playing?"

With a sigh but a small smile, Anippe responds with, "I can show you?"

"Please!"

Anippe beckons her over to her bedchamber, where an instrument is lying on a chair, where Anippe must have dropped it before picking up the knife. Speaking of, where did she get said knife? Abayomi glances around the room, looking for something out of place. She can't see anything at first, until she notices that the padding on the bed has been very slightly shifted.

The knife must have been underneath it, near the edge, so it would be easy to grab. It's a cliche, but very clever, and Abayomi honestly doubts that many people in this time would know of that cliche. She's still staring at hte mattress when Anippe makes a sound of embarrassment.

"I really didn't realize it was you coming in."

"I'm not mad! It was a smart thing for you to do. I would much rather you be prepared and initially approach me with a knife than to always assume you're fine and then end up murdered."

"So you approve."

"Yes of course. As long as you know how to use that knife, that is."

Anippe laughs. "My uncle would be greatly disappointed if I didn't know how to use a knife after the years he spent teaching me. On a different note, you asked me about the music?"

Anippe picks up the instrument, a gold-tipped nai, and raises it to her lips. As she blows, a long note comes out, soon breaking off into many others and her fingers close over the holes. While Anippe plays, Abayomi moves to sit on the bed, watching the other girl send the tune spiraling into the air with ease. After a few minutes, Anippe lowers the nai and looks over at Abayomi.

"What do you think? I know I'm still learning, but . . ."

"I think that I don't know how to play one of those so anything you can do looks awesome. I wouldn't have even realized that you're still learning if you hadn't said anything."

"Do you want me to teach you how to play?"

"That would be wonderful."

Anippe beams at her and moves to sit on the bed beside her. She holds out the instrument. "Do you know how to blow into it?"

"I think so." It's just like with other woodwind instruments, right? She raies the nai to her lips and blows into it. The note that emerges is stuttering and breathy, but present.

"That is very good, Abayomi. You just need more practice to get it. Try covering random holes when you blow again, so you can hear how the sounds change."

Obediently, Abayomi tries again, covering the holes one at a time. After several attempts,she can feel the notes coming out much more smoothly and is about to try an attempt at a scale when someone knocks at the door. She lowers the nai and stands, handing the instrument to Anippe.

"I'll be right back."

When Abayomi opens the door, she finds a young man standing on the other side. He bows to her.

"My lady, I have a message."

"For the princess?"

He blinks in confusion. "You're not her?"

"No, I'm her handmaiden. I am aware that we look very similar. What is your message?"

He shifts nervously. "It's only for the ears of Princess Anippe."

Abayomi sighs and raises her voice to call behind her. "My lady, there is a message for you. The messenger refuses to speak to anyone but you."

Soft footsteps come towards the door before Anippe peers over Abayomi's shoulder. She smiles warmly at the boy.

"What is your message?"

The boy stands on his tiptoes to speak into Anippe's ear. After a few moments, she nods to him.

"I hear your message, your task is complete."

He bows to her and dashes off down the corridor. Abayomi frowns at Anippe. "What is it?"

"He was sent by Kahotep. He has learned something and wishes to speak with us when we get the chance. He says it is urgent, however."

"I don't think we're busy, could we go now?"

Anippe nods. "We could."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think Kahotep wants to tell them? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out