Chapter 42

Imenand knocks on the prince's door, breathing hard as he tries to catch his breath. He had run all the way from the temple, only walking when he came close to other people. A guard running is concerning after all, but he did need to rush. It takes a minute before there is a response, the prince's low voice calling out for him to come in, the sound seeming to come from far away. But when Imenand enters the first room, he finds Prince Amenhotep to be sitting within it. Imenand bows deeply.

"My prince, I am here to make a report, as you requested of me."

The prince straightens, standing from his chair. "Make your report, Imenand."

"I believe I have found the last piece of evidence we need to prove that Princess Anippe's new handmaiden is behind the spreading corruption that is damaging Aten, or at the very least she is highly connected to it."

"What have you found?"

"My lord, the handmaiden was talking with the princess and one of the temple priests and they were talking about a task the girl must complete and how she should look to Him for guidance. She is directly communing with the Demon Snake."

Prince Amenhotep strokes his chin, starting to pace. "I see. And you think this evidence is enough to convict the girl You are very certain? If we are wrong and we go to arrest her, she will learn that we are aware of her plans and we may never get the chance again."

"Combined with what we have already found out about her, my lord, I am completely certain that we have what we need. I fear what may occur if we wait, for she hasn't even truly begun her task, yet we already see the signs of what her influence is doing to the gods. And my lord, she's pulled both the princess and a priest into her plan. They are under her influence as well. Is it not my duty to protect those of importance to the court?"

The prince sighs. "You are correct in your assessment of your duty, Imenand. Go, arrest the girl, and bring my niece to me so I may assess the influences upon her. Take another guard or two with you, I am certain that if the girl is under orders from the Snake Himself, then she will be as slippery as He is and we do not want her to get away now, do we?"

"No my lord, we would not wish for her to escape."

"Good. I'm glad you agree. After arresting the girl, keep her locked up until I can speak with her."

Imenand bows. "Yes my lord."

"Then you are dismissed. Make haste."

With a sharp nod, Imenand turns and exits the room, leaving the prince to his worried pacing. Time to go arrest a handmaiden.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh dear. What do you think will happen next? What will Prince Amenhotep do after Abayomi is arrested? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out