Chapter Thirty Three

LYRA
________

"You're good, right?" Jaxon asked when we finally rested against a tree.

I nodded, offering him a weak smile. "It's been rough, but yeah I think I will be fine."

"Your mate is quite decent, you know," he told me. "I hated him at first, but he really does love you."

"Sure, he is my mate, after all," I teased, but I did agree with Jaxon.

I was lucky to have Alexander. I couldn't imagine anyone else supporting me the way he had in the past week, and I felt slightly guilty. He was suffering just as bad, and whilst I should have comforted him back, I had only focused on myself.

"It's been a while, we should probably head back before your mate starts threatening me," Jaxon said, standing up and offered his hand for me to take.

Placing my hand in his, he pulled me up and I dusted off the twigs from my dress.

The walk back to the pack house was short. I was grateful for Jaxon, and that he had taken me for a run. He had let me win the race against his wolf, saying something about how I was rusty and he didn't want to hurt my feelings.

Deep down, I knew it was because I was genuinely just faster than him.

I smiled to myself at the thought, as we entered through the doors to the pack house. Ava and Zynthéa were in the kitchen, they must have been cooking because the scent of food engulfed my nostrils.

Dyami was playing with Luca on the living room floor. Evan and Matteo seemed to be in a heated conversation.

Jaxon strutted over to the pair of boys, wrapping his arms around his mate securely. "'Sup boys," he beamed.

I turned my attention to the girls in the kitchen. Approaching them, I embraced Zynthéa as I greeted her.

"Hello, my love," she said, hugging me tightly before pulling back to examine me. "Are you eating? You have lost so much weight."

Biting my lip, I hesitantly responded, "I suppose my appetite hasn't been the best."

Zynthéa frowned. "Not under my watch," she warned, turning around to check on the pot on the stove. "Ava set the dinner table, food is almost ready."

I appreciated what the ladies were doing, but I didn't want to eat without Alexander. Seeing as he was not home yet, I decided to mind-link him.

'Alexander?'

Not even half a second later, my mate responded back, concerned.

'Baby, you alright? Is something wrong?'

'No, it's just that dinner is ready, are you going to be long?'

'I'll head back soon, Lyra. Don't wait up for me and eat with the others.'

Sighing quietly, I didn't respond back to Alexander, wondering what kept him busy.

When the dinner table was set, my group of friends all took their seats. I joined them, but the thought of food did not appeal to me.