Chapter Five (5)

Chapter Five:

The beach wasn't as crowded as I had expected, and it wasn't as warm as it was back at the school. . A wind blew past me and I suddenly wished I at least checked the weather and brought a jacket, or been smart and declined. I should've known that it gets colder farther north. That, and it's winter. Catherine jumped out the car and began to walk toward the water, she was only wearing jean short shorts and a bikini top with no trace of goosebumps anywhere.

"Aren't you cold?" I asked, trying to wrap more of the sundress over me.

"No? Should I be?" she responded, looking at the sky. My jaw dropped and I motioned to my goosebump-infected arm and made more frantic arm movements.

"It's so freaking cold! How do you not feel a chill?!" I demanded.

"You get used to it. Wanna jump into the water with me?" she suggested, smiling. I began to walk alongside her and shook my head.

"Nah, I wanna test it first," I said, glancing at the people on the beach suspiciously. Was everyone here used to the weather but me? When we reached the water Catherine smiled deviously, backed up, then jumped into the water. She made sure to add extra points by flipping in the air.

I screamed and backed up when I saw drops of water flying my way, luckily I dodged them. I then stepped up and put my big toe in the water, testing it. The water was absolutely freezing! Just as I was about to get my foot out the water and sit on the sand I felt two strong hands push my back. My foot flew in the air and I stood on my tip-toes to the ones on the ground, my arms flailing in front of me.

I felt one last push and I fell into the water. My eyes automatically closed and so did my mouth. I felt my blood freeze over and I quickly swam up to the surface to face the culprit. Daniel was laying on the floor laughing like there was no tomorrow. I glared at him and he quickly composed himself when he saw me glaring.

"I feel cold," I half-lied my eyes bulging out in fright.

Daniel rolled his eyes and sighed, "You're such a girl."

I began to continue my act by shivering madly. I looked down at the water, making sure my arms were down before I spoke.

"I can't feel my arms," I told him, making I sounded like I was scared for my life.

"Oh shit, can you swim over here?!" he asked worriedly.

"A little." I paddled my arms, so they wouldn't show and used my legs to get to a position where Daniel would have to reach over to touch me. He stood over the edge and extended his arms so I could hold them. And I did, I grabbed his arm and with a swift yank he went flying into the water.

"You're a bitch," he laughed playfully.

I laughed along with him and found myself looking back at the beach. Olivia was standing at the Surf Shop with a pink surfing board with her. Catherine was behind her, when did that girl get out the water? I looked over at the car and saw Liam was leaning against it, looking down at his iPod. I couldn't find Keith anywhere.

I averted my eyes back to Daniel and smiled, "Do you want to go to the concession stand with me?"

He shrugged and walked casually out the water. My eyes went to his stomach, since he'd been in the water his white shirt was now completely see through and I could clearly see his six-pack abs. "Are you getting out or do you plan on staying in the water and fantasizing about me?" he asked.

"Don't flatter yourself," I rolled my eyes, getting out the water and braiding my wet hair. I walked toward the snack bar and added an extra swing in my hips, then turned around and saw Daniel ogling my bottom.

"See something you like?" I smirked.

"Don't flatter yourself, I was looking at the bug on your back," he scoffed. I twisted my body around to look at my backside, I didn't get to inspect anything before I heard Daniel chuckling.

"Two pretzels and lemonade please," he said to the cashier.

"Is that all?" the cashier asked. Daniel nodded and the cashier walked toward the oven containing the pretzels. Then Daniel looked down and began playing with his fingers as if they were the most fascinating things they ever saw.

The guy came back and handed Daniel his order. "Five eighty-nine," he told him punching stuff in the register. We paid for our orders and leaned against the counter.

"You know what you should do tomorrow?" Daniel asked me.

I turned around to face him, "What?"

He leaned in so close to me that I could smell the mint coming off his breath. "Go to the movies with me?" he asked. Well, it wasn't exactly a question more like a statement.

"And if I'm busy?" I said.

"You won't be."

He was so close now, we were only centimeters apart now and I found myself closing my eyes and pursing my lips, ready for the impact of our lips meeting. After a few moments of no action I opened one eye and was staring out into the ocean. I looked to my side and saw Daniel biting into one of his pretzels. My cheeks were so hot I was convinced that they turned purple.

"You're an ass!" I exasperated.

He picked up his carton of juice, look a long sip and smiled at me.

* * * * * *

"Do you think Daniel's cute?" I asked Olivia inside the dorm. Rain was pouring violently outside our window and she was in front of the vanity brushing her hair.

"Our Daniel? Yeah, he's cute. Why? Do you like him?" by now all her attention was on me.

"Well . . . he asked me to the movies tomorrow and-" I started.

"Oh my god! Do you know what this means?! What are you going to wear?" she exclaimed.

"My shirt that says 'Epic Fail' and some jeans," I grinned proudly but got a frown in return.

She got up and walked over to her closet. "We have a lot of work to do Alexandra." she sighed.