22

after a few minutes of heavy breathing and laying down on the rough floor, a student decided to come and disturb the two.

yup, that's just what namkyu needed.

"um... sorry, but the teacher told me to come over here and ask what you guys are doing." a soft voice said. the two quickly sat up and looked at the girl. she seemed shy and she was really soft spoken.

"sorry, we needed a break. there was an accident." sunghoon said, looking over at namkyu who was lying down. her brows were furrowed and her lips were pursed, even her hands were balled in fists against the floor.

he was a bit surprised with her annoyed expression but she looked cute, so all he could do was chuckle to himself.

her head turned swiftly at sunghoon as she quickly sat straight up. "what are you laughing at?" she sneered.

he shook his head, "nothing." he replied with a smile, sitting up as well. they almost forgot about the girl in front of them.

"uh...um, sorry! i'll go tell him." the girl said. she was focusing on the two and it seemed like she was questioning their relationship until she noticed them both staring at her.

she turned around and jogged back to where the rest of the students were. they were all going back to their places so it seemed like their rest was over.

namkyu sighed and got up, grunting in the process from the pain in her body.

"alright." she clapped, "let's try it again."

sunghoon was surprised, "are you sure?!"

the girl patted away the gravel off her shorts and nodded with her hands on her hips, "yeah. we're never gonna be able to move on to practice our other events if we don't get this." she sighed, not sounding too happy.

he nodded and stood up, "you have a point... okay, let's do it."

although she wasn't on the best terms with him, she couldn't bring herself to hate him and flat out avoid the boy. it felt like she got so used to being around him that it just felt weird to cut him off completely.

sure, maybe they wont ever be a match for one another, but wouldn't it be fine to just be acquaintances at least?

she hated how she felt like she couldn't just stop interacting with him all together. she questioned if she had any self respect because of her decisions.

if he were to ever explain himself, or apologize, she knows she'd be quick to forgive him.

she didn't know why, but it felt like park sunghoon himself was her weakness.

after a couple times— no, that'd be an understatement. after a couple hundred more times, they finally got the hang of passing the baton to one another and timing it perfectly so that they don't slip up.

many others would get it on the first try without any mistakes, so just imagine how bad their teamwork is.

they finally finished and walked over to the grass field that was directed in the middle of the whole track.

namkyu's hands were on her knees as she panted, clearly out of breath and in the need of water. on the other hand, sunghoon dropped to the ground with all fours, no sign of strength in his body before he dropped down on his stomach.

"fucking finally." he said with heavy breaths.

they were too exhausted to be proud and cheerful. all they had on mind was the desire for water.

luckily, a few of their classmates noticed that they finished and soon ran over to them.

"namkyu! sunghoon! did you finally get it?!" jay asked, running towards the two with his other friends following behind. jihyun was running towards them as well and there seemed to be some other girls from their class.