Chapter Four

The forest seriously wasn't as bad as it seemed from the other side, in fact... It was much worse.
It seemed the branches were reaching out to us, every little crack of a twig was a murderer coming to get us, and every wind rushing past my head was my name being whispered through my hair.
Even less moonlight was being allowed through the leaves, so I was stumbling through the dark, tripping over every little thing that came in my way. I found myself clinging to Jake, he was pretty much the only reason I was still standing, I would almost fall and he would catch me, before my knees would hit the ground.
"How do you know where we are going?" My voice cut through the freezing air, I aimed it at the general place Jake was.
"This isn't my first time coming through here," his voice was much closer than I expected, and I was startled, which then caused me to fall over a large root sticking out of the ground. Jake wasn't there to catch me this time, instead Max was, his touch was much harsher than Jake's, or maybe Jake's was just extra soft.
"Thanks," my voice faltered when I found out why Jake wasn't there to catch me.
He was stopped and staring directly into the base of the largest tree I've seen in my whole life. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a flashlight, and shined it onto the tree.
"Jake, what are you doing?" I asked.
"Shhh," Max shushed me from behind.
Jake pushed his index finger to a hole in the tree.
"Jake, get your finger out of there. There could be ani-" I was cutoff when the hole in tree expained to a hole the size of Jake and Max combined.
"Come on," Max led me toward the hole, and Jake gestured for me to go in first, "Ummm, how about no?" there was no way in cell I was going first.
"Fine, I'll go first," Max shoved past me and decened down into the hole. I turned and gave Jake a look, he tried reasuring my with a smile, which didn't look to convincing. I turned to take my turn down the scary stair well, and naturally, I felt Jake's hand on my back leading me down into the Earth.