First day (E)

POV Emma

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIING*

Ugh. Horrible f*cking sound, this schoolbel. First day of my last year of school. How embarrassing is this. I'm eighteen and still in school. Every student is rushing inside, all running for their life. Like they will die when getting late in class. Not for me. I walk over to the gate and lean back to the wall next to it. I take a cigarette and light it up. First getting a smoke, I think by myself. As the second bell is about to ring a beautiful blond lady is walking towards the school gate. Is she a new student? Damn she's fine. Perfect body, kind face. If she is a student, I hope I am in one of her classes. She noticed me, she stops, stares at me for a few seconds and comes over. 

"Aren't you supposed to be in class?" Wow, what a bummer. Student or not, she is one of those. 

"And you know smoking isn't allowed on school property" she follows up with a smile. The smoke blocks my view a bit, i guess it will do the same for her. I can't see her properly but something about her seems familiar.

"Don't you?" I answered

"Besides, the second bell hasn't rung yet" She ignores me and as soon as she set food inside, the second bell rung. O f*ck. Now I am late. I put down my sigaret and walk to class. I knock on the door and the teacher opens it. 

"You're late miss jones" I force my way into class and as I walk to a desk in the back I mumble "I am here now". 

"I may look old to you, but there's nothing wrong with my hearing you know? Do not push it, or do you want to get detention on your first week?" I silently get in my seat, take out my sketchbook and pencil and start to draw.

"Miss jones?.. Miss Jones!... Emma!" I look up. Miss Wilson is standing right in front of me, and she isn't happy. She points at the blackboard. 

"I see you are paying attention, you wouldn't mind solving the problem on the board then would you?" She said with evil eyes and a rather odd smile. I take a look at the board. 

"What is taking so long miss jones?" I take a deep breath before answering

"42" She looks at me confused and a bit shocked. I smile at her. 

"Right" she lowers her voice "That's...That's correct. Next time try paying attention to me please" A certain sadness is clearly noticeable in her respons, like she was hoping I would't know the answer.  

I don't get the fuzz. She's getting paid by the hour. Not based on how many students are or aren't paying attention. To be honest, math isn't that hard. Actually school isn't. It just sucks. A lot. I wish I didn't had to attend school. But I made my mom a promise I would get a degree before quitting. Although people may not think I will make it, I'll definitely try.

The bell rings and this period is finally over. Up to the next class. Can this day go any slower. I take a look at my paper. It says mentor hour. Great. Sitting in circles, singing 'humbaya' and sharing information about school, or worse... our feelings. No thanks. I enter the classroom and again, take a seat in the back of the class. I immediately put my head down on my desk not caring at all who is around me. I hear clicking from high heels entering the classroom. No way that's a student. Pfft. How annoying.

"Good morning class" A recognizable voice said 

"I am miss Brown, Natasha Brown. I'm new at this school and will be your mentor for this school year. You'll see me more than once a week because I am also your english teacher and as new kid on the block I'm given the joy of detention duty" She takes a break and I feel the tension rising.