Suspended (N)

POV Natasha

It's Friday already. I walk to the teachers lounge as I pass the teachers changing room. The door isn't closed and sound is coming out. That's weird. Almost nobody uses this room. And it is really early as well, most teacher only arrive in 30 minutes. The parking lot was still empty too. I look around me but the hallway is empty. I push the door gently and it opens. "Hello?" No answer. I step in and the heat of a warm shower hits me. I close the door behind me and as i step further I hear water running in the showers. "Anybody in here?" The water stops running. Footsteps are coming my way. "Emma?" She stops and watches me.

I am flabbergasted. Emma is standing right in front of me with nothing more than a towel wrapped around her body. Her hair is soaking wet. Her tattoos are glistering from the water. I turn around panicking "what.. what are... what are you doing here?" She doesn't say anything. "Can you please put on some clothes?" a towel flies by me, hits the wall and falls into the dirty laundry basket. I turn my head to see what is happening. Emma is standing there in her sports-bra and skinny jeans. A giant bruise is showing on her stomach. It is the first time i notice. I am staring longer than i should. Where did she get that from?  I look back at the door. "Please get dressed asap" A second later she bumps into my side , as she is running out fully dressed with her backpack hanging on one shoulder.

I try to grab her arm but she is just so damn fast. Or i am too slow. Either way, I tried to catch her all day but couldn't find her. As i am walking down the hallway, i see her walking my way. This seems like a good moment to talk to her, but she sees me and runs off again. She is avoiding me.

It all feels so strange. Attending to many parties, the ripped lip, missing out on school, smoking and drinking, doing drugs... She isn't the typical teenager. Most of them go to a party once in a while and get drunk, but what she is doing is next level. Actually a few levels. It's a shame, she has so much talent, all waisted.

My classes are done and as i am sitting in my car, my phone rings. "Hi Becks, how are you?" She ignores my question and comes back at me "We missed you this week, are you still alive?" I chuckle. "Yeah I am" "Glad to hear that...So you wanna grab some drinks later on? We could meet up with the girls?" I hesitate "Come on. We haven't seen you in ages and it is Friday after all." Sigh. "I'm coming over at 9, see you" and she hangs up. Great. I didn't even say yes, she can be so pushy some times.

Becks is sitting on my bed watching me as I am picking out my outfit for the night. She is really quiet. She almost never is. I turn around and stare. "Whats wrong babe?" She's looking at the ground , acting all nervous. "Hey, tell me." I get a seat next to her on my bed. "Something happened?" she turns her head towards me. "I really missed you the past week" i put my arm around her. "I missed you to!" She give me a soft smile, but it feels forced. "You know, ever since you started teaching at that school, you've been absent. We hardly talk, we hardly go out and I haven't got a clue of what is going on in your life." I sight. "I know" I feel sad. I didn't spend enough time with my friends lately. "Look... I am sorry... I know I've not been a great friend lately"

She looks at me "But with school and..." she cuts me off "You see, that's the problem. You are spending to much time at school" "It is my job Becks, I can't just not show up whenever I feel like it, or whenever you feel like it"

"But why? Why are you even teaching. I mean. You are rich! You have this amazing place, 4 cars. You've got enough money to support half the city. I just wonder why? You could spend your days being free and enjoying life until you're like 120 years" sigh. "Becks... I love teaching. I love helping kids finding their purpose in life... you know that..." "Do they know at school? Do they even know you don't really need to work?" I shake my head "no... nobody knows, and i am keeping it that way" i pause for a second