29

I can feel Heaths leg brush against mine as he bounces his leg up and down

He took me to a small diner to eat and any other day I would be happy to be here but my social battery has been a little off.

"Did you cut your hair?" He suddenly asked, making me look at him.

He stared at me the second we sat down and I knew he was but I looked away. I give him a polite smile and run my fingers through my hair.

"Just a little, straightened it too." I told him and he nods.

The waitress comes over to our table and puts down my food. Heath only ordered some healthy fruit smoothie and I got some fries. I wasn't really in the mood to eat.

"You're not hungry?" He gently asks, lowering his head to meet my eyes as I lowered them.

"Not really." I mutter and lay my cheek on my fist.

"Will you eat some if I eat some?" He asks, his voice was calm and gentle this whole time. It was like he didn't want to say anything wrong.

"Sure." I slide the fries over to him and watch him look down at them before he reaches for one and takes a bite. This is the first time I've seen him eat something.

I smile and reach for some fries too, dipping them in ketchup first. He eats two more before he stops completely. There was a silence between us and I didn't like silence but I didn't want to say anything right now.

"Are you mad at me?" He asks again, breaking the silence. I lick my lips and look up at him.

"No, I'm not. I promise, remember?" I tell him but he doesn't seem to believe it too much.

The silence falls between us again and I look around the restaurant just thinking to myself. I could feel his leg bounce faster, I wonder what he was so nervous about.

"Are you okay?" Heath asks, scanning my face before I turned to look at him. He looked worried as he waited for me to answer and I saw his fingers fidgeting with that silver ring on his finger.

"Can I ask you something?" I sigh, deciding to just ask. He nods and I think about it before just saying it.

"Do you think I'm dumb? Be honest." I question, I know I was bad at some things but I could focus when I put my mind to something.

"No, I don't." He answers and taps his finger on the table.

"Then why do you think everyone else has gotten acceptation letters from colleges and I haven't? Is it because nobody wants me? Or is it because they took one look at my grades and said nope this girls a complete idiot." I ramble, letting out what I've been worried about the past couple of days.

" My mom wants me to go to college but I haven't received one letter yet. I don't want her to be disappointed in me." I put my head down on the table and groan a little when it slammed too hard.