8| And she blew him away

The first time, he placed a soft knock on the door and waited for a response but got none. The second time, it was firmer than the first and still he got no reply. He thought about the fact that she might have fallen asleep so Adedayo reached into his briefcase and searched for the second copy of the key, one he'd gotten made in case of any situation. He only wished she didn't have the key stuck in the keyhole on the other side. Adedayo inserted the key and thankfully, he was able to unlock the door and made his way in, locking it once more after himself.

He took off his shoes by the door and left his case on the couch as his eyes searched for the sight of Joy.

"Joy." He called when he was in front of the closed door into the room. No reply came through and this time, he remembered the incident that had taken place with her when the lights went off. He wondered if she was in the same situation so, casually, he pushed the handle and opened the door. One or two steps in, he saw her lying on her side, asleep on the bed. Easily, he released a sigh of relief. For what would seem like a minute, he stood still by the door and a huge part of him contemplated if it was okay to walk in regardless of the fact that she was asleep. He resolved to be quiet so he walked in, picked out some casual clothes from the wardrobe and his towel. He had a quick shower and was in his casual clothes.

In her sleep, Joy let out a sound. A subtle sound of struggle and Dayo, who was in the room sorting out a thing or two in the wardrobe, turned in her direction. After a while, she was suddenly silent and he looked away only to return his gaze to her when she made more similar sounds. He thought it was best to check in on her and see if she was doing okay.

When he was in front of her, he stood still for a few seconds before squatting and watched as her brows furrowed deeper, her face expressing her intimate discomfort. Adedayo raised a hand to her, about to shake her enough to get her to wake but he halted on his action as doubt filled his thoughts. Was it right for him to intervene? Would she be okay with it?

He withdrew his hand and before realizing it, his gaze rested on her face. Suddenly, her brows eased up, second by second and her facial expression was without a hitch. It was peaceful. She looked peaceful and though he knew a nightmare he knew nothing of had troubled her, right now, it seemed like it never happened. Adedayo stared and regardless of the feeling at the back of his head telling him to stop, he was unable to look away.

Steadily, a heave of breath left through his lips and he could feel the stress of the day slowly evaporating. Believe it or not, Adedayo wasn't always one to stare. In fact, he would much rather exist on his own than draw in the attention of another. But, something about Joy was changing that little fact about him. Yes, she was beautiful without makeup or any hair extension but it wasn't just that. It was... it was something else... It had to be.

Dayo unconsciously leaned a little further towards her. The view of her face was much clearer and he wondered maybe, just maybe if he stared hard and long, he could figure out what it was that made him keep staring or maybe, he could get enough of it and thirst no more for it. His fingers itched, the tips to be precise and as if he'd lost control of his hand, it made its way towards her face. All it really needed was a light stroke of her brows and the itching would go away. He was close when her eyes unexpectedly fluttered open and met a pair of his. For the first few moments, he froze.

Adedayo was unable to think straight. He didn't have the time and acted on the very first thought that came to his mind. He withdrew his hand to his right eye and flinched in reaction, acting like a foreign particle just went into his eyes. Joy, who pretty much couldn't make out the situation from left to right, was left feeling a care towards him on the account that he might not be alright. She'd sat up on the bed just as he stood straight.