26| One tear at a time

"Very good, Chioma." Adedayo said after he looked into the classwork the child in front of him was working on. He moved onto the next child. Before he could look to do the same, his phone in the pocket of his trouser rang and he took out. It was an unknown number. For a moment, he contemplated answering it. In the end, he hurried to the outskirts of the class and picked up the call.

"Hello." He held the phone close to his ear.

"Hello, this is Kenny, Kennedy." The man on the other end introduced himself. It didn't take long for Dayo to recollect who it was.

"Who am I speaking with?"

Adedayo hung his head low and kept his hand on his neck. "Adedayo. Adedayo Michael."

"And you are the one who was with Adesuwa, right?"

Dayo nodded his head. He didn't have much idea on how difficult it would be for him to be with a man who called himself his wife's husband. The second he remembered Kenny couldn't see him, he replied, "yes."

"I'm about to visit Adesuwa but I can't quite track the address. Could you give me a better direction?"

Dayo went silent, and unconsciously tuned out the sounds around him, including the noise from the classrooms. His heart... his heartbeat went faster.

"Hello. Hello? Adedayo." Kenny called when he didn't get any reply from him.

Dayo pushed himself out of the state he was in. "Y-yes."

"I said..."

"Don't come by now. Joy won't be home till evening."

"Joy?"

"I mean... Adesuwa... I'll text you the directions."

Kenny on the other end paused. There was a nondisclosure understanding between the two men.

"Thank you." Kenny appreciated it before the call was disconnected.

Adedayo took a few minutes to himself while his chest drastically went up and down. It was hard to calm his fast-pacing heart. He shut his eyes for a few seconds and gulped down. Dayo reminded himself of Joy's words. They love each other and no amount of intervention was going to change that.

Dayo found himself in a struggle. He was caught between doing the right thing and doing the right thing for his benefit. He stared at his phone in his hands. He could easily not do anything and not let Kenny find his home. Dayo shook his head at vile thoughts. It would be irrational of him to stoop that low. The truth remained that Joy alone had the decision to make. He couldn't control who comes and disappears from her life.

Adedayo took a deep breath then he sent the message to Kenny. After he felt better, he returned to class.

Kenny drove into the street that should be the part of the address Dayo had written down for him. He steered more times than he would like, away from the potholes that seemed to be all there really was with the street. Mrs. Irabor looked around. Her expression wasn't joyful in the least bit.

"Kennedy, are you sure... are you sure we are in the right place?"

For a moment, he stopped and stared ahead. The gates were all alike. Black but rusty. The buildings were likely similar and even with Adedayo's written direction, he had a hard time locating the very venue.

Mrs. Irabor lowered the glass of her window. "Hello, excuse me young lady." She called out to the woman within the shop beside them and whose eyes were glued to the screen of her phone. Isoken lifted her eyes to her, then she stood on her feet and hurried to her. For a second, she observed the luxurious black Mercedes and wondered why such a car was in their neighbourhood.