4

i know it's been a while but I finally got this chapter out 😭😭

motivation is hard to find so sometimes it takes me a bit to get back to writing. thanks for all the patience! had covid and then had a final to prepare for but I finally had the time to sit down and continue :)

I apologize for the shitty chapter, kinda forgot parts of this story especially when I have several others I'm working on! kind of a filler but I tried to make it exciting :)

story will get good again next chap!

enjoy <3

When everyone was packed back up and the coast was clear, we began our journey to Charlotte.

Oscar had taken the phone briefly to look at a map before suggesting we take a large empty road that led straight to the city.

"This road will take us right where we want to go. Then it looks like we walk down a few smaller roads in the city and we'll be there." He said, scanning the area around us.

"How long will it take?" Vivi questioned.

"Few hours." Oscar answered. "We'll want to pack extra food and water for this trip. We'll be walking miles without any buildings." He added.

I bit my lip hard. The thought of an empty road with no buildings made me both nervous, and relieved.

I was worried we would run out of food and water regardless, or pass out from exhaustion. I was only relieved when I realized that meant no demise hiding in the shadows.

I turned around slowly, basking in the heat that beamed down on me. My eyes squinted.

"Let's head to that store. We'll find as much food as we can and stack up on water or other drinks." Mars suggested, pointing to a large store on the corner.

With a few glances around the street, we all quickly jogged over to the other side and to the corner. The sign was partially hanging off the building and some of the letters were cracked.

Oscar led, as always, through the cracked doors. He gave it a harsh shove to the side, until it slowly nudged open.

The glass pieces cracking under the stuck door.

Oscar glanced inside in each direction and slowly stepped in. His hand went up, a silent indication for us to stay outside.

Mars peeked her head in behind him, glancing around as Oscar continued his way around each shelf.

After a few minutes of hushed breaths, Oscar came back around and nodded us inside. I stepped in behind Mars and shivered.

The store seemed to have trapped some cold air, causing goose bumps to appear on my arms, even under my sweater. I felt anxious and I only hoped this would go by quickly.

"Grab anything that isn't spoiled. Stay away from the cold boxes over there, the food isn't good anymore in there. Mostly look for shelved drinks." Oscar ordered.

I scanned the shelves. Some were broken and slanted, some held wrappers and broken cans, and others were surprisingly stocked with somewhat good food.

It was mostly chips and crackers. There was a good selection of canned food as well that was gross uncooked but at least it was edible.

I grabbed some cans and bags of snacks and put them in my large pack. We had found the large packs in a recent scavenge.

I found Aria around the corner watching her grab multiple bottles, big and small, of various liquids.