Chapter 4

I was wrong.

10 hours passed quickly. I blinked twice, it was already Nine O'clock, and I am late.

Dad never likes when someone is late.

I knocked on his office door once again today.

"Come in" I heard and slowly opened the door. Walking in, I closed it behind me and saw dad sitting at his desk. His eyes were on some papers and then they were focused on me.

"Yes father" I decided to use 'father', because it sounds more respectful and I did not want him to get angrier with me. Somehow, his features slightly hardened which made me nervously avoid eye contact.

"Sit down" He said and mentioned me to sit at the other side of the desk. I did as he said quickly shuffling to my seat and I sat down.

"Definition" He said in English and my head shot up. This was the first time I heard him speak English. Does he know that language? Wait. That was one of the words I did not know the meaning of. I wanted to ask Ms. Dona about it but ended up lying that I did not have new words.

I stared at him confused. He finally looked up from his papers and set them aside.

"What does Definition mean?" oh no. maybe he heard me lying to Ms. Dona. But. How does he know what was written in that book. Did he read it and saw underlines to the words I did not understand?

"I don't know," I admitted hanging my head low.

"Amusement" He asked another word.

This is bad. I stayed quiet. This was embarrassing.

"Did you lie Matthias?" He asked and that was the question I was scared of. If I say yes, he would get mad. If I said no, he would get extra mad, because I lied.

My face got red. I always tried not to get in trouble or lie because I always had to admit it later, which was very embarrassing for me. Now it is more embarrassing, because I am in front of my dad.

"Yes" I nodded my head still keeping my gaze down. I peeked at his face and he was blankly staring at me.

"Why did you lie?"

I paused. Of course, I would not say that it was because I did not want to go to his office again. However, I ended up here anyways.

"I asked you a question and I expect and answer"

His firm voice made me flinch and I swallowed the lump, which was in my throat. I did not know what to say. If I would lie. No. Nope.

I heard the chair pull back and looked up seeing him stand up.

This is just now that I noticed, that he was wearing black sweatpants and black shirt,

I have always seen him in suits; this is my first time seeing him dressed like this. I watched him walk over to the corner where the large plant was standing. He picked it up. HE PICKED IT UP. Wow. My dad is so strong. I wish I could be like him one day. Moving the plant to another empty place, he said. "Come here"

I got up walking to the empty corner.

"Stand here with your nose in the corner before you learn how to answer someone properly. And when you will think that you found the good answer, walk to me and say it."

The biggest sentence he ever said to me.

"B-but its-" His sharp eyes made me quickly shuffle to the corner and put my nose on the wall. I should have stayed quiet.

I was standing so long that my legs were getting tired. Moreover, I was tired. I wanted to sleep...

I decided to tell him the truth and get over it this was the best decision. I turned around and walked over to him who now was reading the same paper. As I got close to him, I quietly said, „I'm ready to answer papa"

He placed the paper down and looked at me, then he fully moved his chair towards me and now I was standing in front of him.

If he keeps looking at me, I cannot answer.

I gulped. "I was feeling embarrassed, because I thought you were mad at me because I cried and ran away from your office like a crybaby and I did not want you to yell at me so I decided to not to come back to get my books from your office, because all of these things." I quickly said and added after.

"I will be leaving now" I turned around but I was lifted up from my feet and in a second, I was sitting in my dad's lap.

I was facing him. It was obvious that I was surprised with this action. I could not run away. I could not get away from him this time.

"If you knew that I would be mad, why did you do it in the first place?" I gulped again. I did not want to stutter.

"I didn't realize that I was stealing..." I admitted looking at him carefully, wondering how would he react to this. However, His face held the same emotion.

"And if you knew that you were stealing, would you still do it?"

I shook my head quickly. "No papa."

"Why?" He asked raising his one eyebrow as he moved his hand on my back.

"Because you don't like thieves" His face-hardened and he put second hand behind my back pulling me a little closer to him so that we had better eye contact.

"Do you know the reason why I don't like thieves Matthias?" His voice came out firm making my hands tremble. Dad was a scary person.

"Ms. Luna says that it's bad because thieves are stealing something from others which is important for them, like: toys, expensive watches, money. And she also said that god will punish them either way when the day comes" Dad chuckled and his chest rumbled making me flinch a little. I just heard my dad laugh.

"Thieves are not only people who steal expensive objects. They steal lives of people. And this is the situation where god doesn't help." I looked down. Does he mean me? I am the thief then.

"Then... A-am I a thief papa?" I asked my voice trembling. I felt my eyes water.

"What did you steal?" He asked raising his eyebrow again.

"I stole mom's life"

I felt his body go stiff.

His hands on my back clenched into fists.

"Matthias" I suddenly heard his firm voice, which was deeper than usual. I immediately looked up looking at his face where flushed pain for a second then it disappeared.

He moved his hands to my face. They were warm. Dad's hands were warm.

"I do not. Want you to repeat that again, I do not want you to think that again. Do you understand me? Don't you dare even think of it." My tear accidentally slipped from my eye. Another tear went down on my held cheek and then touched my dad's hand.

"Do you understand me Matthias?' He firmly asked, but I was already sobbing by that time. Dad does not think that I killed mom. Dad does not hate me.

"P-papa" I tried to say that I understood him and that I was wrong to think that. However, nothing came out. Just small soft sobs.

I was suddenly pulled to his firm chest as he tightly put his arms around me. I cried my heart out. I cried out every pain and sorrow, which I held back until now.

"Matthias...what am I going to do with you" He muttered to my ear not letting me go. Every time I breathed in, I could smell his ad cologne, listening to his heartbeat made me want to fall asleep immediately. In addition, I did.

I am happy that dad does not hate me.