CHAPTER 5 - STRANGE OCCURRENCES

The next week when Touya meets his younger self, he asks him to call him Nabe instead of Touya. Just lessens the confusion for everyone. Touya would go on to teach the boy the specifics of using his quirk in a way that the flame didn't touch his skin. Touya had found later in life in the last timeline that he was able to get his flames to hover if he focused and practiced. When he was young he had used his father as an example and let the flames dance on his body, devouring him with them. If he had thought to utilise his flames in a different way, he probably would have gone on to do bigger things. Just more proof that quirk therapists were generally just stabbing in the dark when "helping" kids.

His younger self was taking to the lessons like a duck to water, he seemed more cheerful and ready to learn with each week that went by. Tenko, who had been quiet at first had also warmed up to the new training partner. To be honest, Touya was afraid Tenko would attack his younger self when the boy had shown up for their first training session.

Now a couple of weeks on, Touya had grown used to his presence and seemed to look to him for support and as a role model. Not that Touya had blamed him, Endeavor was hardly a good role model. He would take the fatherly role that he had been deprived of and do a damn good job at it. The first few weeks were hard and Touya often found his mini-me crying when he failed at a task. He really thought that Nabe would punish him or see him as worthless due to his blunders. Thankfully, it only took a few sessions for him to reassure Touya and get him to trust him enough to believe that Nabe won't leave.

During the break, Touya brought out a picnic basket of treats for the boys to share. They had worked hard and now, he was making a habit of letting the boys enjoy some sweets and junk food after training as a reward. Their smiles told him that clearly, his decision was much appreciated. He had found that his younger self really loved chocolate croissants, which made sense because it was his favourite snack to have with a cup of coffee in the morning. Clearly, his younger self had taste. After today's training session, he had prepared Touya a bag of chocolate croissants, just a little reward for training so hard for all these weeks.

Tenko had pouted at him when he saw him give the other boy the bag.

"Dad! I wanted a chocolate croissant!" His whiney voice rang out like a baby.

"Tenko, we have a lot at home. You can have more chocolate croissants later. I know you sneak down to the kitchen when I'm busy." He said, shutting down his son's next argument.

Touya rolled his eyes, sometimes his adopted son was very predictable.

—-------

Touya had never had so much fun training before. When he had trained with his father, he could always remember the burning pain of his quirk and the yelling of his father when he failed at completing a move. His father would teach him hand-to-hand combat by going at him with as much speed as possible in order to test him. He has agreed that that was the best training method at the time but now... training with Nabe was something completely different. The man was calm and patient, going through each step of the move slowly, making sure that Touya understood what he was explaining. When Touya had failed at completing a move, he expected to be reprimanded, but Nabe had simply asked him to repeat the move and then correct what he had done wrong. It was... soothing. Nabe was an excellent trainer, Touya feels like he's learned more in the few weeks he trained with Nabe than in the years of training he had with his father. The problem of his quirk burning his skin was now almost nonexistent. Sometimes his quirk would singe him, but that's only when he wasn't focusing, but he was mostly fine. He couldn't wait to show his father! But... he knew if he told Endeavor about this trainer, he might demand that Touya stop because he couldn't stand the thought of someone else training his children. It was him or nothing. No. Touya will not tell his father who trained him.