CHAPTER 43 - PROVISIONAL LICENSING EXAM PART II

Shouto was impressed with his impromptu teammate. As a class, they'd never spoken about who would pair with who during the Provisional Licensing Exam. They'd never even considered the possibility. Too busy training their own quirks and Ultimate Moves leading up to the exam.

Shouto was ready to run off by himself. The other students taking the exam didn't have the same idea. They surrounded both him and Sero, pelting them with their quirks as well as rocks. They worked in perfect tandem, as one student moved forward, another would move back to recuperate or get ready for the next wave of their onslaught.

They were clearly one of the hero teams that Natsuo had warned him about.

Unlike UA, which doesn't typically have a hero teamup focus. Many other schools did. To make up for fire power and each other's weaknesses, the schools would encourage their students to make connections with each other and train to debut as a hero team rather than an individual hero. It was smart.

Rather than pumping out more mediocre heroes into society, the schools prioritised heroes that could work in small units in order to complete a single goal. It made sense. It didn't churn out the most popular heroes, or most independent heroes, but it churned out good heroes. Even if they lost effectiveness once separated.

There were many reasons such hero groups were great. They knew how to use their talents where it mattered. They also often communicated the most efficiently on the field. But there was one factor that betrayed them.

Blasting a dark-haired girl with a jet of flames, Shouto promptly tagged her out. She groaned as her targets all lit up red, standing up and walking away from the fight.

They lost effectiveness when separated.

Nodding at Sero, Shouto used his ice to force their opponents apart. The ground was already unstable from whatever separated Class 1A, but Shouto would make sure that they weren't the only ones that would suffer from that decision.

—-------

Katsuki was pissed. Some extra had the guts to mess with his class, to mess with HIM. Katsuki wasn't going to let them beat him, or any of the idiots in his class.

Surveying those still with him, Katsuki noted Ears, The Frog, and The Emo Bird. He hadn't ever worked with them before, but they would do. Just as he was going to tell them to follow him, The Emo Bird opened his stupid beak.

"I can't work with you Bakugo."

"Huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?" Katsuki was confused. Why wouldn't The Emo Bird work with him? They would be strong! Katsuki even acknowledged The Emo Bird as strong! So why-

"Your quirk is a direct counter to mine." Katsuki knew that! That's why they're working together!

"Sorry, but I think I'd work better off alone." Without giving Katsuki a chance to reply, The Emo Bird ran off.

Katsuki paused for a moment, not knowing what to say before Ears poked him.

"Hey! Bakugo! We need to go!" Fuck it. If that Emo Bird thought he knew what he was doing, it was none of Katsuki's fucking business.

Turning to Ears and The Frog, Katsuki grinned.

"Let's kill them all."

—-------

Izuku barely kept himself from freaking out when they were all separated. He'd only managed to get a glimpse of a smile and a flash of bright green before a small earthquake rocked through the exam centre, leaving him with only Aoyama and Hagakure. He didn't even have time to reorganise himself before Izuku found himself surrounded on all sides by a large group of students from multiple schools. He could see some with the signature Shiketsu hat, but also some with pins and badges signalling their school. Amongst the crowd, he noted a few students from Ketsubutsu High, Seijin High School and even Chimu Academy.