7

*(Y/n)'s POV*

I felt my fingers slipping from the side of the ship, and I tried not to panic. I held on as best as I could to the ship. I wanted to cry out for help, but I heard distinct voices from up above. I waited for the right moment to say something.

"Captain!" I heard Dr. Doppler exclaim. "That...Oh my goodness. That was...That was absolutely...That was the most..."

"Oh, tish-tosh." Captain Amelia said. "Actually, doctor, your astronomical advice was most helpful."

Dr. Doppler seemed embarrassed, "Well, uh...Uh, thank you. Thank you very much! Well, I have a lot of help to offer anatomically...Amanamonically...Astronomically." He slapped his forehead in disappointment as he tried to find his words.

"Well, I must uh...congratulate you, Mr. Silver." Captain Amelia said. "It seems your cabin boy did a bang-up job with those lifelines. All hands accounted for, Mr. Arrow?"

What happened next ticked me off.

"I'm afraid Mr. Arrow, along with the cabin girl, has been lost." Scroop hissed. "Their lifelines were not secured..."

Jim's voice rose in a panic. "No, I checked them all!" Jim said. "I...I did. I checked them all. They were secure. I swear! (Y/n) can't be gone...She was right-"

"Help?!" I shouted as loud as I could. "Someone?!"

"(Y/N)?" Jim called out to me. "W-Where are you?"

"Follow my lifeline!" I shouted back.

In the next moment, I saw Jim's face appear over the side of the ship. He couldn't believe it when he saw me hanging on for dear life. His face was a mix of worry and distress.

"Oh, god..." Jim muttered, and started to pull me up. The crewmates came over and looked at me in surprise, especially Scroop. "(Y/n), I thought I lost you." Once I climbed aboard, Jim tackled me into an embrace. "I thought I lost you..." He whispered into my ear.

That sent shivers down my spine as he held me tighter. My arms were already wrapped around him, and I leaned my head against his. "I'm okay..." I soothed. "I'm okay."

I looked over to Scroop, who scowled at me. I was going to get my revenge on him.

"Mr. Arrow?" Captain Amelia looked at me, and I frowned.

Jim and I parted from each other, and he kept his hand in mine. "Mr. Arrow..." I started to say, a lump getting caught in my throat as Jim listened to my side of the story. "I tried to...I couldn't save him. He slipped away from me as we rode the last wave, and I just-"

She gave me a stern look, and that had punched me in the gut. I looked at Jim, whose face was full of concern, but he wasn't mad. Everyone both glared at us, and we were at fault.

"Mr. Arrow was a...fine spacer, finer than most of us could ever hope to be, but he knew the risks, as do we all." Captain Amelia gave a speech, which made me feel worse as everyone hung their heads in solemn. "Resume your posts. We carry on." She walked away quietly, and the crew dispersed except for the three of us.

I noticed Dad was giving me a look of disappointment. "Dad...I-" I started to say, tears forming in my eyes. I walked over to him and let go of Jim's hand.

Dad crossed his arms at me. "(Y/n)...What were ya bloody thinkin'?!" He asked in a hushed tone, and I winced. "Come below deck. I'm gonna have a word with you."

We started to walk away, and Jim frowned.

"Wait. Don't blame your daughter, sir." Jim said and we turned slightly to him. "It was my fault. I seriously thought I checked the lifelines." I looked up at him when he spoke up for me.