Chapter 51: Millie

I open my eyes, jerking when I find myself no longer in Jackson's bedroom. A crisp wind knocks the air from my lungs and I gasp. I don't see the familiar monochrome of Jackson's flat. Instead, I'm outside, standing next to an expanse of water. A fjord, just like I'd seen in photographs. It was so still, the moody sky above was perfectly mirrored in the deep crystal water. Great snow-capped mountains encircle us. A dense forest lurks directly behind the water, trees so vibrant, they're almost bluish in their rich darkness. The air is so pure, sweetened with the scent of pine needles and apple blossom. I'm breathless, confused, and blown away by such beauty.

"Nice choice."

I turn sharply to the sound of the unfamiliar voice. Standing behind me is an older man I've never seen before. He's wearing a suit in various shades of pale grey, his milky blonde hair slicked back and neatly styled. Mischief twinkles in the liquid silver of his eyes. There are no doubts in my mind about who he is.

"You're... you're him, aren't you?"

He says nothing, just stares at me through Jackson's eyes. In fact, except for his blonde hair and older appearance, he looks heartbreakingly like his son.

Jackson. Thinking of him makes my chest ache.

"Where is he?"

He walks forward till he's standing by my side. I turn to follow his gaze. My eyes return to the haunting beauty of the fjord.

"He's back where you left him. It was me. I'm the one who reaped you, Millie. I couldn't save you, but I could spare him the pain of that, at least. That's not a wound that ever leaves the soul," he says with enough rawness that I know he's talking about Jackson's mother, and maybe even Jackson himself. "He is my son, after all."

I nod and wrap my arms around myself. The wind is fierce and alive—I savour the feel of it crashing into my face, my skin. I turn to look at Death.

"I know he ran away when you tried to tell him the truth, but you didn't fight for him, did you? You just walked off, left him alone. He lost his mum, then he died, and where were you?"

I know that accusing the most powerful being in existence of being a neglectful father may not be a good idea, but for Jackson, I needed to speak. He chuckles sadly and turns to look down at me.

"I know. For a long time, I told myself I was being kind, giving him the space he needed to heal, keeping him away from a painful truth he didn't want to hear but in the end... in the end, I think I was protecting myself more." He smirks at me and his smile is so much like his son's that I can't help but match it. He dips his head closer to mine. "Even Ethereal's have issues."

"I've met your sister. I've noticed."

He laughs at that, a proper belly laugh that has him throwing his head back.

"There's a saying about how if you look long enough into the darkness, it looks back at you. I think if you spend an eternity watching mortals... well, I think my sister and I have suffered from a similar affliction."

I nod, turning back to the water.

"Where are we? Is Jackson OK?"

"No, he's not OK, but in time... he truly loves you, you know." He glances down at me, smiling gently. "We're in Norway. I've been told you always wanted to go, and there are some perks in having me as your reaper." He winks at me and I giggle.

"I didn't realise I'd ever told Jackson about his place."

"He didn't." His face softens, and he glances behind me. "She did."

I know it's not really my heart I feel—I left that behind with my body, but it storms, rages, and threatens to burst from my chest, regardless. When I turn around and see her, a broken wail escapes my lips, my knees almost buckling beneath me.