Chapter 20: Jackson

This is a terrible idea. Bloody awful.

Why did I even suggest coming here? It had seemed like a smart idea at the time, a distracting idea. An idea that would stop her from asking questions and digging into a life I couldn't share with her. And now it will have everyone else in my life asking questions instead. I'm panicking, my heart beating just that little too fast, and I'm tugging on the collar of a shirt that's a little too tight. My hand seems surgically attached to her back. And I haven't had a clean thought since she opened the door wearing that dress...

We walk up the main staircase of the club, heading upwards towards the VIP section. The music is a pulse under our feet, the heat from the dancefloor rising upwards to meet us, carrying the sickly scent of cheap aftershave and fruity cocktails. Millie is looking around wide-eyed, her body slightly stiff, her skin even paler in the flash of the strobe lights. When she catches me watching, she turns my way and smiles. My heart shoots into my throat at the look of pure trust and warmth in her eyes. I want to be worthy of that look.

And I'm not. She just doesn't know it yet.

Once we're on the floor, I guide her to my normal booth. Between me, Lucius, and Thomas, it's rarely free, so security knows to keep it reserved. She beams as she slides across the soft leather of the circular booth, taking in the perfect view of the dancefloor it provides with the convenience of the bar only a few steps away.

The VIP section takes up the whole second to the top floor, which is basically a large circular balcony overlooking the rest of the club. There's opulence here, but in truth, all it gives these people is the chance to look down, knowing that those below are looking up at you, thinking they're missing out on something. But the difference between this floor and the bottom is nothing more than a little extra gilding and a slightly smaller bar queue.

I feel eyes on me and, looking up, I see Lucius and Thomas staring down at me from the office window on the top floor. Thomas looks amused and I can almost hear his chuckle burning the flesh of my ears. Lucius looks angry, raging, his hands clenched by his sides, like he's already imagining them bloody as they pound into my flesh.

Sitting next to Millie, I try to keep the smile on my face, taking in her wonder as she looks around, the terrible experience of last time melting away. As I'd hoped.

"This is so amazing. You can see everything from here..." Mille's voice drifts away as she looks at me. "Jackson? What's wrong?"

I fix the smile wider on my face.

"I'm perfect, better than..."

She raises an eyebrow and puts a hand on my arm.

"You know by now I can see through your bullshit, right?"

Her face is set and almost challenging me to try lying again, her bottom lip protruding and temptingly full. I smile, but it's the smile of a defeated man.

"In a few minutes, a friend of mine is going to appear and drag me off to the office. Will you be OK by yourself for a little while?"

She frowns and then laughs.

"OK... I'll be fine, but is there any reason your friend is dragging you anywhere?"

"He has some strong opinions on my..." A hand squeezes my shoulder almost painfully, and Millie's eyes shoot upwards. I look up to see Lucius tightening his grip as Thomas slides into the booth and sits next to Millie. He flashes a toothy grin her way, and she raises an eyebrow, not quite convinced by his predictable charm. His fingers rake his strawberry-blonde hair in a move I've seen work on more than a few girls in this very booth. It's a move too far for Millie, and she rolls her eyes suspiciously.