Untitled Part 9

The crunch of gravel and the honking horn that follows, is Levi's indication you are home. He stayed behind today, wanting to do some adjustments to the '54's timing belt. It was a bitch, and took up the better part of the day, he notices. The sun is pretty high in the sky. He turns off the radio and walks out to greet you, curious as to the trailer hitched behind the charger. You certainly didn't leave with a trailer. It looks like two cars under the tarp.

As if we don't have enough projects out here as it is, he thinks with a snort of amusement.

"What's this?"

"For you," you say, pausing with a smile as his curiosity deepens. "A celebratory gift for getting your license."

"Haven't gotten it yet, babe." He wraps his arm around your waist and pulls you in for a brief side hug before walking up to the trailer. He gives you a side glance, eyebrow raised.

"Can I?"

"Of course," you nod and walk up next to him. "One is for drift; the other is for drag. Let's see if you can tell which is which."

He rips the tarp away, a slow grin forming on his face. Not classics, newer actually, but not recent either.

"Where did you find these?"

"Old man just outside Rhinelander. Owns a junkyard. Saw a sign up for them and couldn't believe my eyes."

The one on the left is banged up and rusted a bit but looks relatively simple as far as body work goes. He jumps up on the trailer and pops the hood, giving a low whistle at what he finds.

"97 Mazda RX-7 FD, just like in that Tokyo drift movie we watched....?"

"Mhm," you nod and jump up next to him. "What do you see?"

"Twin turbo, 2.6 rotary engine....," He pops his head under to look at the breaks. "Ventilated," he pops back up. "I presume the rear is ventilated as well?"

Again, you nod, proud of how smart he's gotten about cars. Took you damn near your entire childhood to pick up everything your father taught you. Levi has proven once again that he has a knack for all things mechanical.

"Eat your heart out, Bryce," Levi says as he walks over to look at the other car. He's grinning like a fool. "This is my drag baby. Mark II Supra. 2.8L, in-line six cylinder.... Roughly 150 pounds of torque?"

"155," you correct. He nods and walks around the car. "We can remove the backseats and add a roll cage to both."

"Let's go out after dark and practice drift. We need to return this trailer."

"Why wait? Let's take the charger."

"I miss my car."

They've had to be very careful about when to go out driving, due to the Camaro being outed on the news. Late nights, back roads, the cover of darkness: Camaro time.

"Dusk," Levi says, picking you up and carrying you back to the house. "Right now, I want to properly thank you for these fine ass cars."

.....

"Erwin! So glad you finally decided.... Eh? What's this?"

Erwin walks in with a nervous Essie trailing behind. The skeez must have really thought something was going to happen tonight. Dim lights, soft music, champagne.... Is that coke on the counter? For fucks sake, it is.

And that gaudy ass silk robe! Erwin almost chuckles out loud! He's even willing to bet the asshole isn't wearing anything else.

"This is Essie. She's here to ensure you uphold your end of things and put the coke away. No one wants it."