Bonus Chapter: Sasageyo

A/N: Princess Boo, age progression. Five, 14, 18

These bonus chapters ended up focusing on Boo and Levi's relationship more than the reader insert. For this, I apologize. It wasn't exactly my intent, but as it grew in my head, the idea made more sense than anything else. Watching Lee and Levi grow was suddenly more important than anything else I could have written. Anyone who has conversed with me in the past about my dad, knows why.

Sometimes the toughest, crankiest man on the planet just needs a tiny hand holding his. Thank you for coming on this ride with me, loves. I hope you enjoyed it as much as me. 

Sasageyo.

"How do you feel dad?"

"Everything's froggy."

The nurse in the room gives you guys a curious look and then starts taking his vitals.

"Foggy," you explain with a little half smile.

"Froggy," Lee giggles. "You're such a dork, dad."

"Glad to be back with the people I can be a dork, with." Levi closes his eyes. "So fucking tired. So tired."

He's 58 now, and though the sudden cardiac arrest wasn't expected; it certainly came as no real surprise. Unfortunate timing to be sure, Boo's graduation ceremony is within hours. Valedictorian. A speech she would not allow him to hear until the big day.

"Dad, I wish you wouldn't call me that," Lee says, throwing all his clothes into his carry-on. "It's a baby name. Plus, I hardly look like the girl from Monster's Inc, anymore."

"I never looked like Sully. Nor a kitty for that matter. You are a baby. You're my baby. Age won't change that."

You give Lee a conspirator's smile, and gently push Levi back down to the bed. So determined, he's going to cause himself more harm than good.

"Levi, please rest," you murmur quietly in his ear. "We'd rather have you well, than up and causing yourself more problems." Lee nods in agreement. You look back and smile at the man who just came in. Dr. Smith. He kind of looks like Erwin, too. You often think that's the real reason Levi chose him, although his credentials are quite impressive.

"Based on your vitals Levi, you're free to go. I still want you to consider-

"I ain't changing up my diet! I want my meat and potatoes-

"In moderation," Dr. Smith says patiently.

"Every damn day! And a beer to wash it down!"

You smile indulgently and allow him his tirade. Once he gets going it's kind of pointless.

"You know what else I want? A pack of smokes a day, that's what. Plus, a gram of coke and some hookers!" Now you're all laughing at his mock irritation.

"Dad, you don't smoke."

"Well, I'm going to start! Every smoke takes the minutes off the BACK END of my life! Less time forgettin' my name and shittin' my pants!"

"Less time to experience the possibility of marrying me off and enjoy some grandkids," Lee points out patiently. That shuts him up. He gives you a hopeful look.

"What about the hookers and coke?"

"Tomorrow," you say, trying to keep from dying with laughter.

"Tomorrow for the hookers, or tomorrow for the coke?"

"The coke, Levi."

Chuckling, the nurse starts removing the I.V's with a shake of her head.

"You'll never let me have the hookers, will ya?" He sighs. "Oh well, you're all I need anyway." Smiling, you give him a quick peck on the cheek.

"Let's get you home."

Now dressed, you walk together out of the hospital room. Dr. Smith calls out teasingly one last time.

"Your diet...."

"MEAT AND POTATOES," comes the responding yell.

3p.m., Graduation:

Irritated that you and Lee insisted he be in the "four-wheeled torture device", as he calls his wheelchair; Levi motions impatiently for Lee to bend down to his level.

"I'm proud of you kiddo. I'm going to miss you so damn much." His misty eyes match her own as she bends further to whisper in his ear.

"Don't worry, daddy. Maybe I'll find you a nice hooker while I'm away."

"That's my girl."

You give Lee a kiss and a hug, then nod to the front. It's time to let Lee spread her wings.

"Everyone is lining up. We'll see you after the ceremony." Wheeling Levi to your seats, you watch Lee go to the front with a soft smile. At one time, she wanted to join the military. Levi absolutely lost his shit, forbidding it. They argued about her choices, and he pleaded with her. He went to bed that night crying.

"I know all too well what that life means. If I lost her like that YN, I'd die, too."

Eventually, her ideas changed. Skilled as an artist, and a writer; she decided on journalism. She also wanted to major in art education along the way. This relieved Levi immensely.

Now, watching her walk up to the podium and look out at the crowd, you feel a mutual tear of pride slip down yours and Levi's cheeks. Tomorrow, she goes to the airport to begin her life as an adult. Her eyes find yours in the crowd, and you smile, encouraging her.

"Things my father taught me. Be brave in the face of adversity. Understand when the bravest thing you can do is run and do so. Be fearless in the face of love, because once you realize just how powerful a force it is in your life: everything changes for the better."

Lee stops for a moment to wipe her eyes and continues.

"Embrace hope. Sometimes, it's the only thing that keeps us afloat. Never tolerate a bully. Don't except toxic bullshit and the mistreatment of others. Manual is always better whether drag racing or drifting. Watch your speed in the turns and fly. Fly like you mean it."

Her gaze finds his in the crowd, and mutual tears slip down their cheeks.

"If the lug nut doesn't come off immediately, apply a little more elbow grease. Maybe kick the bumper and swear a little. It works astonishingly well."

Chuckles erupt from the crowd. You and Levi included.

"Of course, the same theory can be applied to any adversity we face in life. All we have in this life is each other. Never let go of that. You'll always be someone's Boo. To the Class of 2040: Sasageyo."

"Sasageyo," the class shouts in unison.

With a smile, and a heartfelt salute, Levi whispers back.

"Sasageyo."

Graduation caps fly into the air like uncaged birds.

The End