Eight

Hello >.<

~

"I have a pack. Well, I had one"

The cup of tea mixed with a single spoonful of honey was blissfully warm against Jeongguk's hands as he sat in front of Taehyung, cross-legged on the sofa. They were sitting closer than before, if possible. Their knees were almost touching. Almost. Millimeters away. And Jeongguk tried hard not to think about that.

"Had?" Taehyung's voice was tender. Beautiful. Handsome. Jeongguk might have started liking it a little too much as of recently. And way too much since the pub.

"I'm from the Southern wildlands. I was the pack leader's only son. My father passed away three months back and I was supposed to be the next leader. My mother died when I was young and my father remarried. That woman already had a son. An alpha. Lee Jungwon. He convinced my pack members that I am unfit to become the leader since I'm an omega-"

"That's bullshit!" Taehyung said, voice loud.

"It's a common belief, isn't it?" Jeongguk sighed. "Well, my pack had a few people who agreed with him. The others saw me fit to be leader since I'm the heir and people knew my father had trained me to become the next leader my whole life. But my step-brother convinced everyone that an omega is not fit to be the leader and why do that when my father's step son, who's an alpha, is in the picture. He threatened me to step down. I didn't. He told me he would kill the people I care about and I had to run away. He announced that he had killed me and became the pack leader"

"What the fuck..."

"The only way he could have the position is if I voluntarily give it to him or if I die. Then he would be next in line. Since I'm still alive, his position isn't exactly stable. So he wants to kill me. I've been running away from him for the past three months. I don't want to die. Not in his hands. And I can't risk going back in case he harms any of my pack members who I considered my family. He had found most of the places I have stayed at in the last months and I've only been staying in apartments and motels. He's tracking me down. I've run out of money now. Namjoon was my last option. I thought he wouldn't find me here since this is a large pack. I thought I would be in Namjoon's safety"

Taehyung let out a deep sigh, running his hands through his raven curls in frustration. "I want to kill him"

Jeongguk smiled. "Me too"

"How do you know Namjoon, though? I don't think he ever mentioned you"

"When I was younger, I went to this training camp for leadership. I met him there. He only knows that I was kicked out, not that someone's looking to kill me"

"So you lied to me that your heat was close"

"Yes, I'm sorry. I didn't want you to know the truth"

"Understandable"

"My people believe in my leadership. But my people's lives are more important to me than position"

"Do you want to become the leader?"

"It's the only way I can pay off everything my father has done for me. He raised me to become the leader. How could I not want to live his dream? It's also my dream. But I just can't do anything but run for my life now"

"I'm sorry for being an asshole to you" Taehyung whispered, hand reaching out to touch Jeongguk's knee as an act of comfort. And that's exactly what his touch brought Jeongguk.

"You didn't know. And I didn't want to tell anyone. I was too scared that I would be kicked out too and I will have nowhere to go and no money" Jeongguk could feel himself tearing up. "I have no one else to rely on"