Chapter Sixteen

Jamila flips through her passport lazily and gazes at her picture which was taken only last year. Why on earth do I look like I want to kill someone? I need to learn how to pose better, Wallah if Abdullah saw my face he would laugh his head off. She gulps her guava juice at the thought of her family. Jamila visited them yesterday after her trip to the office. She missed them but her new family never allowed her to feel lonely for even a minute.

'Wa, marriage looks good on you Habibti,' Abdullah had teased.

'Leave her alone Abdullah,' her father had rescued her. She hugged all of them and decided to stay for lunch. Harun wanted her to be happy, he knew that it couldn't be easy leaving behind the people who raised her and sacrificed all that they had to see her grow as beautiful as she did.

Aminah was thrilled to have her daughter and son-in-law in her house and persuaded them to stay till evening. 'You must stay ibni,' she pinched Harun's cheek and served them tea, biscuits and cake.

'So Morocco huh?' Zaid raised his eyebrow curiously.

'Yep,'

'See this is what I like about him,'

'What?'

'That he'd take you to Africa instead of some overrated country in Europe.' He rolled his eyes at his sister as if she's supposed to read his mind.

'Like France?' Jamila giggled. Zaid nodded with a smirk. 'He's creative like that,'

'I bet.' They looked over at the charming doctor seated with his father-in-law absorbed in a long conversation about the recent political events in Palestine. 'Is he... I mean does he... do I...'

'Akhi!' Jamila smacked his arm. She hadn't the least idea of what he had wanted to say but something told her it wasn't going to be good.

'Ah! Okay, I was being concerned.'

'Concern qadhmay,' (my foot) Zaid grinned at his sister lovingly, this is what I miss the most, he thought.

'So what will you bring me?'

'A pretty Moroccan girl to keep you busy,' Jamila smirked.

'Argh no need,'

'That is a good idea actually,' Aminah enters the kitchen and winks at her daughter.

'She might die out of boredom though,'

'Why?' Zaid was offended.

'All you'll do is read, write, eat and sleep.'

'Ala kadheeb!' (Lies)

Jamila has a small smile on her face now as she reflects on their small argument over her brother's commitment to his non-existent wife. She leans into the muscular arm next to her. An hour more, boy I can't wait. I still can't believe that woman! She deliberately dropped her bag down the aisle and bent over in such an exaggerated way in Harun's direction. Who does she think she is? What a cow! I was so close to exploding, well done though for being so calm. Or at least pretending to be. Harun the wonderful gentleman he is noticed by discomfort and suggested we switch places. So now I'm on the seat beside the aisle and he gets the view of the flawless sky. At least there won't be any more butts in his face. She grins childishly and lifts her head to admire her husband's face.

'Harun?' She murmurs and touches his eye lashes.

'Hmm?'

'Are you sleeping?'