Chapter 18: Planting the seed

"He hates my b.l dramas I watch."

"Bethany, a gentleman is here to see you." Beth looks up from replenishing the lipsticks on her makeup counter to see her supervisor, who was standing a fraction in front of another male with jet black hair. Her heart momentarily jumps for joy at the thought that her fiancè would take the time to come and see her at work. Maybe take her out for lunch, or even just a coffee to go, but as the lady steps aside, she sees it is only Ed, with all the previous thoughts instantly leaving her vivid imagination, only to be replaced by unease.

"Ed! Why are you here?" She places the small box of beauty products on the counter rather abruptly.

"You are hard to find. This department store is massive." Ed subconsciously looks up at the rather high ceiling littered with commercial spotlights, before returning his gaze back to her.

"I'm working Ed. What do you want?" She repeats once again.

"Is she due a break?" Ed seems to disregard Beth's unease as he turns to the woman standing next to him.

"Twenty minutes." The supervisor replies. "Do you want to take it now?" She turns to Beth, looking a fraction put out.

"Sure." She replies, forcing a smile as she walks around the counter. "Looks like I don't have a choice." Her fake smile is directed towards Ed, who grins back at her.

"It won't take long. Just a little chat." Ed says as the supervisor nods at the pair, standing in the place of Beth, who now stands next to Ed.

She pulls at the sleeve of his jacket in order for him to follow her out of the nearest exit and into the covered mall where her department store was located. "What are you doing?" She demands.

"Let go of me and I'll tell you." Ed replies in a soft tone as Beth finally releases her grip. Ed straightens up, pulling the freshly formed creases from his jacket.

"Is it about Jasper? What have you been telling him?" Beth begins to panic, with a world of worst case scenarios entering her mind.

"Jasper is fine. Just relax will you. This is about us." Ed replies with the same calmness in his voice.

Beth pulls back from Ed, her face furrowing in confusion. "Us? What do you mean? There is no 'us'."

"That was before." Ed glances down at Beth's stomach. "I get you don't want me to be part of your life, but you can't stop me from being involved. You are having our baby after all."

"Will you stop saying that?" Beth snaps back through clenched teeth. "I've made my decision. We agreed."

"That was before." Ed says, getting closer to Beth.

"Before what?" She questions.

"He's no good for you. I know he's cheating. I don't want my child being raised by a cheater."

"Then you have nothing to worry about. He is not a cheater." Beth insists. "It was me who cheated, not him." She could feel her blood boiling inside. "We did wrong. Not him. I love him and I won't lose him over what we did."

"Do you even know this Thomas?" Ed questions as he rests a hand on the adjacent shop window glass.

"I will soon. I've invited him for dinner if you must know."

"You didn't hear what I heard when they were talking." Ed insists.

"Ed, will you change the bloody record? Why do you insist on telling me that Jasper is gay? Do you know how ludicrous that sounds? I've already asked him about their relationship and I believe him. I've never known him to be with another man. He hates my b.l. dramas I watch '' She begins.

"Your what?"

"B.l. boys love?... Gay love stories." She rolls her eyes at Ed who looks at her perplexed. "Ed, he isn't gay. He is with me."

"Then what about Thomas?" Ed raises an eyebrow in question. "What if he's gay?"

"Does that even matter? Are people not allowed to have gay friends?" Beth shrugs at Ed's pointless argument. "Ed you sound like a caveman right now."

"Then just let me come to the appointment." Ed now pleads, wanting to at least cling onto some reason for being there in the first place. "Jasper said the other day, that you have a checkup."

"And like I said to him, I will go alone." Beth repeats. She puts her hand on her still flat stomach. "And as for this baby,' it's mine'." She pushes past him as she heads back in the direction of her place of work.

Ed emits a heavy sigh, as he runs his fingers through his hair. He feels frustrated, but still feels somewhat satisfied. Apart from the enlightenment of Beth's checkup, Jasper had already told him about Thomas' potential dinner date at their apartment. He knew Jasper's fiancèe well enough that all he would have to do was to plant the seed of doubt about Jasper's long lost friend and it would grow in her insecure head. He didn't need to tear them apart. Beth would probably do that all on her own.