IX

♪♫ Aankhon ki hai yeh khwahishein,

Ki chehere se teri na hatein,

Neendon mein meri bas tere,

Khwabon ne li hai karwatein,

Ki teri ore mujhko leke chale,

Ye duniya bhar ke sab raaste,

Main tujhko kitna chahta hoon,

Ye tu kabhi soch na sake... ♪♫

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He was sitting on the sofa in Noor's parents' house, waiting for her to come down. Her parents and sister looked normal but he could still feel like something was off.

Yesterday she came running to him in the office, frowning and disheveled, telling him about the meeting her parents had arranged for her marriage. At first he wanted to tell her that he was the one who was coming to see her but he refrained himself from doing so. He knew that when she would see him in her home she would be over the moon, so, he consoled and convinced her that he would find a solution, till then, she had to do what her parents expect from her.

He saw Noor coming down the stairs with her sister. She was wearing a powder blue anarkali dress with an organza dupatta. Seeing her, he straightened up, tugging at the rolled up sleeves of his light blue shirt and rubbing his sweaty hands on the navy pants.

He expected Inaya and Ahana to walk with her but they were nowhere to be seen.

She was looking at the floor when her sister said something which made her look up. Their eyes locked and her face morphed in confusion but she still continued coming towards them. Her sister made her sit on the sofa right in front of him while she was still looking at everyone around.

"You traitor! I hate you!"

They were now in the backyard to talk while their families were still inside the house.

"I'm sorry, na."

"Sorry! What sorry, huh? You knew!" she accused.

"I know, I know. I thought you would be happy to see me here."

"I am happy. But, you could have just told me." she mumbled the last part.

"Yes," he held her around the waist. "But then how would I be able to see you so happy? Hmm?"

She grinned before putting her head on his shoulder, savoring the moment.

"Noor."

"Hmm?"

"Do you... do you want to... you know?" he hesitated.

"To marry you?" she finished looking up at him and when he nodded she answered. "To be honest, I never thought of getting married. But if I ever have or want to then I can't imagine anyone else that's not you."

"Is that a yes or maybe or no?" he asked feigning confusion.

She chuckled. "It is a yes Mr. Malhotra. It'll always be a yes from me."

"Thank you, Mrs. Malhotra." He grinned. "Hmm, I like the sound of it."

"I'm not Mrs. Malhotra yet."

"You will be. Soon."

Noor took a hold of his hand and dragged him near the swing which was big enough for two and sat on it with him.

"You know," she started, "You need to come home and ask Inaya and Ahana too."

He looked at her confused. "Ask what? And I thought this was your home?"

"Ask for my hand." She said in a duh tone. "And no, this is my parents' house. My home is the apartment I share with my best friends."

"Why is that? And why Inaya and Ahana are not here today?"

"What appears before our eyes is not always the truth. Sometimes things have many layers to it. I'll tell you everything after you meet with them." She softly smiled towards him. "My parents don't like Inaya and Ahana, that's why they aren't here."

"I thought Ahana didn't care if people like her or not."

She giggled. "She doesn't. I just didn't want them to engage with my parents. They can get...um, nasty sometimes."

Her parents' topic seemed to make her upset. "Alright then, I'll come to your home to meet them. Tell me when and I'll be there. Happy?"

"Very."

He still had this bad feeling about her parents.

What are you hiding, Noor?