Chapter Nineteen

The puffiness in my eyes is prominent, but I'm not dressed to impress.

It's too cold to wear anything cute anyway. I have on my signature fuzzy pullover and a pair of leggings. Nothing too flashy, but nothing too embarrassing either.

Driving doesn't stress me out as much as I thought it would. It does make me a little nervous, but I thought I'd be traumatized.

I'm glad that readjusting to anything car related isn't as difficult as I had assumed. It gives me one less thing to worry about.

Now, most of my concern lies in how the evening will unfold. I sit in front of the small building, resembling Joe's in the slightest.

The outside is run down and older fashioned, just as the other diner is.

Mr. Halloways car is parked on the other side of the parking lot, empty.

That means that as soon as I enter those doors, I can't change my mind. Part of me wants to leave and end the flood of thoughts running rampant through my mind.

Instead, I grab my bag and get out of the car with a nervous gulp. Making sure to lock it behind me, I make my way to the entrance.

The first thing I see is small bulbs placed at each table, casting a subtle light across each area of the diner. The booths are brown and white, matching the plain brown tables and brown walls laced with white and gold. It's not as charming as Joe's, but it sure comes close.

It doesn't take long to find a familiar tall frame sitting patiently at one of the booths with his arms crossed over his chest.

His eyes are already on me.

Of course he has to look this good in a pair of blue jeans and plain black tee paired with a jacket to match. His broad shoulders is where my sight lingers, but it soon shoots back to the magnetism in those blue eyes.

The intensity in his gaze already has me flustered and I haven't even approached the table yet.

Before I start my trek to him, I'm greeted by a very cheery host.

"Just one?" He asks with a wide smile, grabbing a menu and silverware.

"Actually, I'm with him." I say, gesturing toward the culprit in question.

"Perfect, we already have your place set up." He informs, "You can go on and your server will be right with you."

"Thank you." I give him the warmest smile I can muster through my anxiety and make my way to the empty spot across from the source of my worries.

"Miss Amberly." He greets before doubling back and seeming to correct himself, "Paige."

The sound of my name catches me off guard. Though I don't know why, it's just odd to hear something I'd come to terms with never hearing again. At least, never hearing it in the timbre of his voice.

I stomp each and every butterfly from my gut.

"Ethan." I nod back to him and slide into my spot. This is one of the first times I've casually said his name. I hate how natural it feels.

I also hate how his eyes light up and he leans forward in anticipation.

He opens his mouth to speak, but before he can get to it, an older woman approaches us and places two drinks on the table.

I look at the dark carbonated beverage and raise an eyebrow at Mr. Halloway—er, Ethan.

"Would you like some more time to look at that menu, hon?" She asks, giving the same sweet smile I'd recieved from the host. Her rounded face is wrinkled and makes me feel a little less intimidated by the experience.