Chapter Twenty Five

My eyes are wide, drying out by the second but I can't seem to find the muscles in my eyelids to close them.

"But you didn't hear it from me." As David rushes his last words out, the phone slips from my hand and onto the bed. His voice faintly calls my name from the limited volume in my phone speaker but I ignore him.

Still unblinkingly, my knees bend, allowing my body to fall onto the bed.

What the hell do I do now?

Is this the end of a long term friendship?

Right after a breakup?

And still, after the shitty month I've had. No way I don't have bad karma racked up on me. Or a curse or something.

Realization still wracks my brain.

I'm Drea's secret love. It should have been more obvious, with the atmosphere when we were at the diner. Even before, she hadn't been on board with Mr. Halloway from day one. Which could be for obvious and perhaps illegal reasons, but my assumption will be based on the information I'd just received.

Ding.

My phone breaks the silence, and I pick it up hurriedly. David is no longer on the phone, now the only thing that illuminates my screen is a missed call from Ethan and a text from both the first and last person I'd like to hear from.

"I think we should talk."
-Drea

My hands shake, cold and sweaty as I type my response,

"Yea ya think? I just got some really big news from David."
-Paige's iPhone

I leave the message screen open and set my phone on the bed, shifting to a lying position on my stomach. Picking my phone back up, I read her reply.

"I'm still in town if you want to meet up."
-Drea

I stare at the text for a second, considering my options.

What will come of this meeting?

I don't want to lose her, that would be more challenging than anything right now. Friendship would be awkward, and a relationship seems out of the picture.

I'm not even sure how I feel for her. I've always admired how absolutely beautiful she is, but it's hard to differentiate between romantic and platonic thoughts.

To say the least, I've definitely thought about what it'd be like to have sex with her. On multiple occasions. My face burns in shame as I recall a fantasy I'd used as a means to touch myself.

It was something I'd only done once, and it was freshman year—when my hormones were wild. At least that's what I'd pegged it as.

Even if I did feel something for her, it feels wrong to form an emotional attachment right after I broke things off with Ethan.

Speaking of, I never got back to him. A twinge of guilt makes my gut twist but I don't even have the mental capacity to cross that bridge now.

I blow out a breath.

One thing at a time,

"Yes if you want you can come here. Or we could meet at this diner in town."
-Paige's iPhone

I'd prefer not to meet at the diner, seeing as I was just there with Ethan, but I figure I'll give her options.

How am I even supposed to know how to feel when everything in my mind seems as chaotic as it does? I need to go into this with a clear head.