Chapter 5

Two-thirds of Hecatite were now in the Kinsmen's control, and supply routes were cut.

A month after attending his first meeting, Nagan had once again been sent to attend another. The situation was too dire for General Meixong to even think about attending in person, and he was sure General Byteron thought the same. With Byteron on the front and Meixong as the only connection between all branches, it was clear they were the reason Hecatite had yet to be lost. Nagan even wondered if Master Dagmire would be at this meeting, as he was in charge of reinforcements and also worked closely to the front.

Nagan navigated the halls of the building swiftly, Valrin close behind. Rin, however, had trouble keeping up with Nagan's brisk pace, but not a word of complaint slipped his lips. They were running a bit behind, after all, as a violent storm blocked their path previously. Maybe if Nagan was on his own, he would've attempted it—Ravi was a strong flier—but not when there was a second passenger.

And no, they did not get lost.

It never even really occurred to Nagan that the Council had an actual meeting place. Ever since they had cleared out Carvolier, they had been using the Great Hall since Carvolier's defenses were only rivaled by Froshrinra's. And what Nagan thought they used before, well, he never had a reason to think about it. But now he strode through arched halls and on a slightly worn carpet. Windows were laced with metal to keep it firm, and the old architecture made him feel as if he had traveled through time. From what he remembered Rin saying, the Council of Third had been operating in this building since the beginning.

"Left, and we should be there," Rin said, slightly breathless.

Nagan nodded, turning sharply as he marched up to a set of double doors, open wide but only offering a glimpse of what was inside. Before it, Master Honoria stood along with a few others. A few of them stole a couple glances at them, raising a brow at their tardiness, but Master Honoria reached them first. Nagan chose not to comment upon the amount of armed personnel stationed around the hall itself.

"Good of you to arrive! I feared the worst, but I'm glad you've made it—" Master Honoria faltered when he saw the man behind Nagan. "Ah, so General Meixong sent both of you?"

"Hello, father," Rin greeted timidly. "Yes, General Meixong thought it best if I followed along as a secretary. This is an important meeting, and two sets of ears are better than one when it comes to passing along information."

"If anything, I'm just his transportation," Nagan added.

"Indeed, indeed," Master Honoria said faintly, not quite knowing how to talk to his son. Instead, he cleared his throat and turned his attention to Nagan. "Is it just the two of you?"

Nagan furrowed his brow at that. "Yes, Meixong only sent the two of us."

"Without any guards?"

What—I'm a Dragonmage! "Why would we need guards?" Nagan tried to keep his incredulity out of his tone.

"Oh, so maybe you haven't heard," Master Honoria said hastily, realizing how offensive his question may have sounded. "Council members and other officials have been attacked, and some have been fatal. Master Pollis, I'm sure you've heard, has passed from his injuries from one of these attacks. Master Warven as of a few days ago was even attacked. He lives, but I'm afraid he's critically injured."

"Master Warven?" Rin exclaimed, shocked. "As in, Yevondi Warven?"

"No, no, it was their father. Yevondi is here while Jedan went to their residence, both because his father was attacked and because he wants to personally reinforce the defenses." Master Honoria then looked back at Nagan. "Be cautious, Master Elvar. You may not be...prevalent enough to be targeted, but if you keep attending these sorts of meetings, I firmly suggest you exercise great caution."