Chapter 8

The office was smaller than any of the ones he's been given in the past, but Master Dagmire wasn't one to complain

The office was smaller than any of the ones he's been given in the past, but Master Dagmire wasn't one to complain. It served well enough, especially since he was only going to be here for a couple more days at max. Even if the meetings continued, he was still needed at the front, and by the reports he was being sent, it sounded as if they were locked in a stalemate. Neither side was progressing in Hecatite, and Froshrinra had the advantage of the mountains.

He frowned as he read through a particular report. Another captain was dead and had been temporarily replaced by a lieutenant. General Kalahann was asking for approval of the decision, and Master Dagmire began writing his response in favor. Lieutenant Urisa had proven herself capable over the last few months. He was ready to sign the approval when a knock came from his door.

"Come in," he said idly, hoping it would be a quick conversation. When he saw a familiar blond enter, however, he pushed his work aside. "Ah, Nagan. What a pleasant surprise, I thought you were one of the politicians."

"Thank the gods I'm not," Nagan smirked. "I can't stand them."

"And yet the girl you're courting is studying law."

Nagan waved his hand. "Details, details...and that's not a death sentence to becoming a politician."

Master Dagmire didn't question it when Nagan turned to face the door, mouthing different incantations that he could only assume were privacy spells. So he has something important he wants to discuss. His thoughts were confirmed when Nagan faced him once again, this time with a more serious expression.

"What makes someone qualified to attend these meetings?" Nagan began, walking over to the side of the desk and choosing to lean his hip against it instead of sitting down.

"For more specific meetings, it's usually just those involved, and that could mean they're either from the region, have close relations to that region—trade, for example—and if they were recently involved with what happened. For example, the last meeting you attended in Carvolier involved General Meixong since they are involved with nearly everything, but they sent you in their place since you know the most about the hypomagicka fields. Does that make sense so far?" He waited for Nagan to confirm with a nod. "Now, for the meetings we have been attending for the last few days, this is dealing with something that involves all of us. It's needed that we make a decision collectively on the next steps we take to win. I'm sure Valrin has been sending reports back to General Meixong."

"Yes, he has. I've written a couple lines in those reports if I caught anything Rin didn't, but that doesn't occur often."

Master Dagmire nodded at that. "He showed promise in incantations when he was in Carvolier, but I think what he's doing now suits him best. He was never a fighter or leader."

Nagan couldn't help but bark out a laugh. "Yeah, and I got these bruises from falling down the stairs. Rin knows how to fight, and very well. He's been handing my ass to me with a stick of all things."