Chapter 10

*Katerina's POV*

As if learning that the mages might be using an arrow to track me down wasn't bad enough, the same rider I'd seen in the city was now here. I quickly hid my dismay as his eyes landed on me. He ambled in my direction as the dragons began talking amongst themselves.

"Got any grub?" he asked far more conversationally than I had expected.

"Sorry, Sir, I don't," I lied, not ready to share the trail rations hidden in the bottom of my backpack.

"Sir? Oh, you're not a rider." A frown appeared as he shrugged and turned his back to me.

My jaw dropped at the sudden change in his demeanor. I wasn't sure whether to feel insulted at the classist behavior or relieved because I didn't want to talk to a rider. After a few seconds of thought, I grudgingly decided silence was preferable. Infuriating, but preferable.

I fiddled with a piece of grass and glanced at the forest, but Rakota had made it quite clear that he'd track me down if I disappeared. Now that I knew the mages might be able to track me, I also knew this area wasn't safe if I wandered away from the dragons.

"There's a dove in that tree," the rider commented. "If you shoot it, we could cook it while waiting."

Rather than admit to my terrible aim, I said, "You can borrow my bow if you want."

"Andar doesn't allow me to have ranged weapons," he grumbled. "Says I abused the privilege a few too many times."

I could believe it. Fortunately, the dove left as quickly as it had arrived.

He crossed his arms as the bird disappeared. "So much for a late lunch." He halfway turned so he could see me and looked me up and down. "Why'd the dragons drag you here?"

So much for the silence. I shrugged. "I helped Rakota and might have mages after me now. He's going to give me a ride to another city."

"Ah, you're the one who helped him escape the shadow mages. He wouldn't be able to leave you behind, not with–"

His mouth continued moving, but no words came out. He didn't seem to notice anything amiss, so I didn't comment on it, particularly since I suspected a dragon had cast a spell. I could still hear the songbirds and the dragons, so it was just his voice that was no longer audible.

His voice returned. "–so now we get to try and chase these mages down."

"I'm not particularly looking forward to that part," I murmured. If a bunch of people were going to start throwing spells around, I did not want to be in the vicinity, but it was looking like I didn't have much of a choice.

"Just think of it as an adventure. It's not like either of us will be in the fight. We just get to watch."

"I'm not much of a fighter, so that's probably for the best." Deciding to change the subject, I asked, "I think I saw you in the city to the north yesterday or am I mistaken?"

"That would have been me. No other rider is bonded to a green dragon right now," he said, puffing out his chest.

I wondered if this guy liked to ramble on like some people did. If he was talking, then I wouldn't have to. "How did your visit go?"

That opened the floodgates.

"The food was good. Always is. Fresh bread, roasted duck and drippings–" he continued describing all sorts of food and beverages, many of which only ever graced the tables of nobles and royalty. If he had really tasted all of those things, it was a wonder he could still walk. Eventually, he asked, "What's the best food you ever tasted?"

I considered it for a moment, trying to think of something that didn't sound like plain fare. "There was one market booth in Merkel that sold roasted meat, and their pork kabobs were the best I've ever had."

"Huh. Never bought food in the marketplace before. No way to tell what animal it came from once it's chopped up."

"This booth had a good reputation and you could see them cutting it up behind the seller." I turned the conversation back to him. "Did you see the King?"

"Yeah, he welcomed me. He gave me an invitation to join the dancing in the East Wing or help myself in the banquet hall. Dancing involves too much movement, and I was famished, so I went to eat. There were some younger nobility there; quite a talkative bunch, and–"

Yep. He was definitely a rambler. I listened with half an ear and a forced attentive expression while actually watching the dragons behind him. When they all looked up, so did I.

A red dragon – a brighter shade than Rakota – was gliding down to the shoreline. The horns let me identify the newcomer as another female. After landing, she greeted Rakota with a friendly head bump against his shoulder, which he returned. She looked at the empty saddle, then sent a speculative look my way.

The rider finally noticed I wasn't paying attention and followed my gaze, saying, "Ah, she finally made it. Now we can get started. Nice chatting with you. We'll probably have more time to talk come evening." Without waiting for a reply, he began walking toward the dragons.

I watched him go, perplexed by the rider and unsure if I wanted to approach the two red dragons who seemed to be having some sort of reunion. Rakota gave me a pointed look, which I had no trouble interpreting as my cue to get moving.

I reluctantly walked over as the orange, purple, and green dragons all took flight. The downwash from their wings ruffled my bangs and made me glad I'd braided the rest of my hair.

"So you're the one who helped Rakota?" the red dragon asked, tilting her head in curiosity.

"Yes, uh, Ma'am?" I ducked my head with uncertainty. Was it supposed to be Ma'am or some other title?

She chuckled at my nervousness and shook out her wings. "Forget the Ma'am stuff and just call me Serepha."

Before I could come up with a reply, Rakota crouched down and half-heartedly grumbled, "Get on."

Climbing up the harness seemed easier than trying to talk with the far-too-curious dragon, so I quickly clambered up, only to find myself closer to her head-height now. I busied myself with putting the harness on as both dragons watched intently.

"Humans have such nimble hands," she murmured. She bumped Rakota's wing with her own and said, "Let's go find these mages. We'll have plenty of time to visit tonight. I'm checking the area between the rivers, right?"

"Yes."

With a quick nod, she bounded to the side and used her momentum to jump into the air, swiftly gaining height. Rakota gave me one last glance and also took flight.