Chapter 28

*Katerina's POV*

As the village disappeared from sight, Brandon murmured, "At least we know the mages didn't come through this village."

"That just tells us where they aren't, not where they are," Randel grumbled, "and we checked four villages already. I'm glad we're calling it a day. My feet are getting sore."

I remained silent, still trying to decide if skulking around villages and trying to keep Randel out of mischief was better or worse than finding the mages and the ensuing battle. Admittedly, Randel had adapted to his role as a trader remarkably well and hadn't needed assistance at this village. He'd even made four coppers with all of his trading and re-trading.

As we moved to the side of the road to let another cart pass, Brandon frowned at all the people ahead. "There's a lot of traffic."

"Most of the city markets start dispersing mid to late afternoon," I said, "so anyone heading this way would be passing through here right about now. The side roads will have much less traffic." I nodded at one such trail ahead that branched to the side.

"We'll have to do that. Even Diondin is getting impatient. Most of the others gave up waiting and are already heading back."

"Let's get going then. The sooner we get back, the sooner we can start a fire," Randel said, already veering toward the dirt track.

I exchanged a look with Brandon, then shrugged. I kept an eye on the sky as the road entered the forest. The dragons were able to sneak pretty close to the villages without being seen, so I wasn't sure how far we had to go before they'd appear.

Like every other time, there was just empty sky above us one moment, the next, huge wings blotted out the light. There was no noise or anything to signal their presence, and by the time we stopped walking, the three dragons were landing.

Without prompting, we got into the saddles. I glanced at Brandon and Randel, noticing that both of them had the shoulder straps over the secondary ones. Mine were underneath, as per Rakota's original instructions.

I examined the webbing of leather straps, although as far as I could tell, mine looked just as secure as theirs. I also remembered the aerial maneuvers Rakota had done during the fight with the mages, so I knew I'd stay in the saddle even if he flipped upside down. As the dragons took flight, I made a mental note to ask the riders once we were at the campsite.

The flight back was quick, and as soon as we slid out of the saddle, the dragons ambled toward the lake, where two others were already waiting.

"Where are the other dragons?" I asked Brandon. "Didn't they leave earlier?"

"They went hunting," he replied. "There isn't much for them to do here, and it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to fly high and watch the roads and villages in hopes of spotting one of the mages."

I set my backpack on the ground and asked, "When you put your harness on, why don't you slide the shoulder straps under the secondary ones?"

Brandon scratched his head. "Why would you put it underneath?"

I pursed my lips and glanced at the dragons near the lake. "Because he told me to." On a hunch, I didn't use Rakota's name. Every time Brandon wanted Diondin to hear something at a distance, he always used his name.

Brandon shrugged. "Diondin's never told me that. I don't think it matters."

"It's a tactic dragons sometimes use when giving rides reluctantly," Randel commented, dropping the coil of rope near me. "The clips tend to snag, and it flusters people. Some dragons find their reactions amusing." He dug the spool of thread out of his belt pouch and lightly tossed it to me.