Chapter 37

*Rakota's POV*

I grappled with my unresponsive muscles, beyond frustrated at having to watch the battle take place in front of me and being unable to help. Once one mage fell, it didn't take Serepha long to overpower the second one. I still didn't know where the third had gotten to, but considering his plans and my inability to move, I was happier with him absent.

Red wings blocked my view of the smoke-filled sky as Serepha landed heavily beside me and nuzzled my head. All I could do was blink at her and release a slow breath as thanks.

"The mages are dead, unless one or two are still trapped in the rubble," she murmured as her eyes focused and unfocused with spells I couldn't sense. "Katerina looked fine. She's hiding with Randel over by Andar. The spell shield must still be keeping Victorya, Qwest, and Diondin out. Once you can move, I'll try figuring out which rune is powering it."

I tried flexing my claws and found I was able to do that now. It was a struggle to lift my head, but it was possible after Serepha had undone some of the immobilization spell's bindings. I breathed a sigh of relief now that I wasn't completely helpless.

"You have good timing." My words were a bit slurred, but I could at least speak.

She bared her teeth in pride, although her eyes remained unfocused as she kept casting.

"You should drain those runes before they use all the magic," I told her.

She hesitated, then nodded and began walking over to the various runes, most of which were still firing attacks into the billows of thick smoke. I frowned at the slabs of stone the three mages had dropped. Most were blank, having been used up against Serepha, but some were still charged. It was a pity my magic senses were shut down since I would have liked to examine them.

I spread my wings with difficulty, then folded them. Flying wasn't possible, especially without my magic, but the movement would help loosen the spell until Serepha returned.

I watched Serepha as she minced around the various glowing runes. One by one, they went dark as she siphoned the stored magic. The shield finally disappeared, and she gazed skyward until the silhouette of a dragon could be seen. Her jaws moved as she spoke with whoever it was.

Moments later, Victorya and Qwest cautiously drifted through the clearing smoke and began digging through the remains of the cave. Diondin landed near Andar, likely to help free the green dragon from the immobilization spell.

I tried standing, but my legs simply didn't have the strength. At least I could move my neck and head. I scanned the boulders to the side, finally spotting the third mage. I made a mental note to get someone to check him for more pre-charged runes and burn the body. Maybe even roll that boulder on top of him for good measure.

Flares of magic and color emerged from runes as the three dragons sifted through them, examined them, then drained them.

"What are your thoughts, Victorya?" I asked.

She glanced back at me. "They have eight different kinds of spells here, mostly the magic numbing ones and the immobilization spells. I don't recognize two, but if I had to guess, these spells hail back to the Mage Wars."

"Some of the magic in these is almost a century old," Qwest commented. "They've been gathering it for a long time."

"Are there more mages around?" I asked with a frown.

"Not likely," Victorya replied. "The magic added during the last few decades came from a dozen individuals, so I think we found them all. We just have to make sure we figure out where the spell book is. Oh, this is interesting."