Chapter 20

*Katerina's POV*

I slowed down and eyed up the small stream as we got closer. Brandon glanced back at me and asked, "Is something wrong?"

"I'm just trying to figure out how deep it is in case a naga is hiding down there."

Normally I'd never admit my fear of naga since so many people thought the creatures had gone extinct, but a dragon rider would know the truth.

He blinked in surprise and regarded me. "That isn't something most people worry about, but if it helps, naga prefer to stick to larger rivers or lakes. They wouldn't be in something this shallow with dragons flying around."

Keeping a wary eye on the clear water, I followed him closer to the water's edge. No flashes of green or blue were to be seen anywhere in the creek, but I could vaguely make out the bottom, so that was a relief.

"We can try spearfishing if we trim some sticks," he said, peering at flickers of movement along the bottom.

"I've got a net," I said as I shrugged out of my backpack and dug out the seldom-used object.

"Oh, that'll work. We can string it across this section and chase fish into it."

"We can cut down a sapling, tie the net to it, then lay it across the creek, and we won't have to get wet," I said. "If we leave the ropes connected to the bottom on the bank, it'll scoop up the fish when we pull on them." It was one of many tricks I'd learned when trying to avoid getting close to the water.

We began setting up the net, and I kept casting frequent glances at the slowly flowing water.

"Did you have a close call with a naga?" he quietly asked.

"Once when I was younger. They killed my parents and sister several years ago."

"Did you tell Rakota or another dragon about the attack?"

"They were going to send someone to check that area."

"That's good. The dragons try to keep the naga away from humans, but sometimes a few slip through." He finished tying a knot and held up the sapling he'd cut down. "I think this should work."

I helped him lower it until it spanned the gap and the netting was in the water. The small weights rested along the silty bottom.

"It reaches all the way down," I told him.

"Then let's see how many fish we can catch!"

I grinned at his enthusiasm and followed him upstream. When we had gone far enough, he found a long branch and began striking the water with it as we slowly made our way toward the net. I opted to throw rocks and sticks into the water as we drove the fish ahead of us.

The rocks hit with deep glugs, punctuated by the thwap of the wet branch striking the surface. One oddly-shaped rock hit the water and splashed him.

"Sorry!" I quickly apologized.

"It's just water." He sent me a teasing grin. "But to make up for that, you need to toss in things that make a bigger splash than this tree branch!"

I gaped at him. "Mine are making bigger splashes."

"Prove it!" He redoubled his efforts to create as much noise and the biggest impact possible.

No large stones were nearby, so I grabbed four fist-sized ones and threw them all at once.

"That's cheating!"

"Is not!" I replied with a laugh.

Our bantering continued as we worked our way toward the net. It was...fun. And it had been a long time since I had fun. I was almost sad when the net came into view.