Chapter 38

*Katerina's POV*

I was oddly relieved that Rakota was relatively unharmed. I hadn't asked the specifics, but from what I overheard, it sounded like his magic was blocked and his muscles were weakened.

"Do you think you can fly if I cast a spell to make you lighter?" Serepha asked.

"One way to find out," Rakota replied, still not looking entirely steady on his feet. "Where is the closest clearing big enough for all of us? I won't be able to make it back to our previous camping spot."

"I think I saw two not too far away," she said. "Victorya? Any preference on a clearing?"

"The clearing to the east had a small creek. It's not overly large, but there'll be enough room since Qwest and I don't plan to stay overnight. Once I send that book off, we plan to go back and find those hidden mage stones. After that, we'll head to the coast. If you want, you can start heading to the clearing now. We'll clean all this up and make sure we didn't miss any hidden scrolls or runes. I already burned Katerina's arrow."

"Thanks," Rakota said. Turning his gaze to me, he crouched down, only for his legs to give out. As he lay there, he grumbled, "Get on."

"Uh, are you sure you want me on your back right now?"

"Do you really want to stay near several rotting bodies?"

I winced. "Point taken."

Both dragons watched me climb into the saddle and secure the harness straps. I didn't even make a show of sliding the shoulder strap under the secondary one. I rested a hand on the handle, hoping Rakota's wings were working better than his legs. A second crash landing didn't sound appealing.

Serepha tilted her head as she examined Rakota. "The spells are in place. I can cast more if needed."

He spread his wings and did a weird running jump as he beat them downward. I could actually feel his feet leave the ground as the ride became smoother. His wings rowed through the air in the same fashion as when he'd originally escaped the mages. At least I wasn't being carried in his hands this time.

I held onto the handle as he slowly rose above the cliffs. With the amount of effort he was putting in, we should have been halfway to wherever we were going, but it barely kept us aloft. Serepha glided alongside us, her nearly unmoving wings a stark contrast to Rakota's.

Instead of flying higher, he remained just above the trees, which was just fine with me in case his wings gave out like his legs had earlier. I glanced back at the ravine where Victorya continued clawing through the rubble, unearthing a body.

I shivered and looked away as reality finally began to sink in. The mages were dead. I had survived the battle, as had all of the dragons and riders, for which I was grateful in a way I couldn't put into words.

I exhaled slowly. Within two days, I'd be at Emerson City and this misadventure would be over. As I gazed across the forest, I realized I would actually miss flying. It was a strange thought, but there was a unique peace and freedom in the upper air, even if I was just along for the ride.

Shaking my head at myself, I decided to enjoy it while I could, but once Rakota and I parted ways, I'd be avoiding dragons as much as I had before. The risk was just too great. There were other Wellsprings out there, and if I was discovered, it could put them all in danger.

I watched the trees as I committed the view and peacefulness to memory. I saw the large clearing long before Rakota reached it. His heavy breathing had both of my hands on the handle, expecting a less-than-glamorous landing. I quickly checked my harness to make sure all the straps were in place and secure.

Grass and flowers appeared below as Rakota began backwinging and angling his body for a landing. After two awkward flaps, his wings gave out. I held onto the saddle handle as tight as I could, although his fall was oddly slow, making me suspect Serepha was helping him.

I felt the jolt of his legs meeting the grass, then he dropped farther as they also gave out. His wings lay half-unfurled on either side of him. He shook his neck in irritation and pulled his wings against his sides as he glanced back at me.

"We'll be staying here tonight," he told me as if he hadn't just crash-landed. Behind him, Serepha landed gracefully, a stark contrast to Rakota's current condition.

I began undoing the harness straps. "Does it matter where I build a fire and set up camp? Downwind, I assume?"

"Downwind works. Don't worry about building a shelter. You can sleep under my wing tonight."

"Er, thanks for the offer, but it isn't necessary. I have plenty of time to build something."

He snorted faintly. "If another storm comes up like last night, no amount of sticks will keep you dry. Flying with damp clothing usually ends in sickness, and I doubt you want to remain here for a week while you recover."

The conversational words rolled off his tongue like a methodically thought-out argument, one I was unable to refute or disprove. It wasn't unusual for my clothing to get damp if it rained, and catching a chill was never wise, especially since it wasn't easy for me to find a trustworthy healer.

The offer still seemed kind of odd. Until last night, he'd never made such a suggestion. Brandon had said something along the lines of dragons not being accustomed to humans, so perhaps Rakota was taking his cues from Andar and Diondin? It wasn't something I felt comfortable asking, and a few larger clouds could be seen on the horizon.

With no way to politely decline, I gave in and bowed my head. "Thank you, Rakota."

"You probably need wood for a fire, don't you?" Serepha asked.

"There's plenty of time for me to collect it. It'll give me something to do."

We both looked up as Andar flew heavily into the clearing and pretty much skidded on his stomach across the grass. Diondin glided in and landed neatly to the side.

"Perhaps," Serepha murmured, "but I recall how much wood Randel can burn."

Without waiting for a reply, she began sauntering towards the trees, already lifting her head higher as she searched for one suitable for firewood.

I blinked slowly as the scarlet dragon walked away, feeling strangely lost. She might have just been helping Rakota, but I had a feeling there was more to it than that. Rakota's contemplative expression as he also watched her didn't do anything to alleviate my confused thoughts.