vii. unfairness

CHAPTER SEVEN ─── unfairness

"𝖄our grandfather has asked for your presence." Alaelanna glanced up from the chest that she was packing, turning to her father. "He wishes to speak with you."

"It is a good thing I have finished packing." She was more than ready to return to Alterwoode, to her home and it's familiar people. She could not wait to tell her cousins of Aemond's words and actions, finding it amusing. The girl had not told her brothers, knowing that Jace would most likely murder their uncle. "Do you know what he wishes to speak on?"

"I do not." Malkym held his arm out, allowing his daughter to hook hers through it. "Maybe he still believes that you are Aemma."

"So I have to pretend to be a dead woman to comfort him."

"Alaelanna." Malkym shook his head, before squeezing her hand. "That is your grandmother. Act accordingly. I know that you dislike being here, but please. Not with a dying man."

Alaelanna sighed and rolled her eyes.

"We will soon be gone. This is most likely the last time that you will see the man alive, so be polite and cordial." The doors to the King's chambers were guarded, but they opened at the sight of the girl and her father. "Do you wish for me to wait?"

"No, I can handle it." Alaelanna smiled, before entering the dark room quickly. The doors closed behind her, but the sound did not manage to fill the quiet room. A rattling breath of air filled the room as Alaelanna drew closer to her grandfather's bedside. "Grandfather, it is me."

"Alaelanna..." His breath grew shaky as he reached for his granddaughter's hand, squeezing gently as he smiled up at her. "My granddaughter..."

"Hello grandfather." Alaelanna sat beside him, smoothing her dress out.

"You...You look more like your mother every time I see you." Viserys smiled once more, "and your grandmother."

"My brothers are very envious."

"They are replicas of your father, but all of you are true Targaryens." Viserys' hand tightened, though that seemed to take much effort. "I wished to live longer, to see you married as I saw your mother married. She was beautiful."

"In the dress of diamonds," Alaelanna finished for her grandfather. "She told me stories, of marrying father in front of the Weirwood tree, of how beautiful it all was."

"I wished to see you married." Viserys mumbled again. "I knew you will look beautiful."

They fell silent, before Viserys spoke again.