viii. messages and escapes

CHAPTER EIGHT ─── messages and escapes

𝕬laelanna had not meant to be awake that late.

On the night that her parents had left King's Landing, Alaelanna had found that sleep eluded her. Every noise she heard, every quiet breath of air made her feel as if she was being watched.

It was the reason that she had heard the servants whispering outside of her door just as the night reached its darkest point. Their voices were hushed, but Alaelanna managed to duck by the keyhole and listen as best she could.

All she could hear was 'king' and 'dead'.

Her heart paused, grief filling her. If she hadn't been sat on the floor already, she feared her legs would have given out in that moment. Her grandfather was dead, and the only person who would have been able to keep her safe in this city without her parents was gone.

But Alaelanna knew what she had to do. She knew that this news would not be told to her mother, who had just left King's Landing. Alaelanna had to get her mother back, so that she could take her rightful place as queen.

It took her a precious minute to find a quill and ink, jotting down a note as quickly as she could. She kept the message short and sweet, before pulling a dark cloak from her chest. Opening the door carefully, Alaelanna hurried through the corridors, up the stairs and to the highest tower of the Red Keep. 

It was where the ravens were kept.

She prayed to the gods, before opening the closest cage. The raven did not crow, as if hearing her prayers.

It watched her with beady eyes as she tied the parchment to the raven's legs. Lowering her voice, she whispered to the raven quickly.

"To Alterwoode, please." The raven tilted his head. "Please, Alterwoode. To Rhaenyra Targaryen."

The raven chirruped before Alaelanna opened the window on the tower and threw the raven out. It flapped for a moment, before turning and flying south, towards Alterwoode. Now, she would just need to follow it.

To most, it would seem the smart decision to leave the city by horseback or on foot, but Alaelanna would not leave Littlewing. She knew that it was stupid, and the likelihood that she was caught would only grow, but she refused to leave her dragon.

So, she took the risk and left the castle, sneaking past guards and servants alike, hurrying through the dark corridors and tunnels, heading for the Dragon Pit as best she could remember. Everything made her jump, but she kept going. She refused to lose Littlewing.