x. weddings

CHAPTER TEN ─── weddings

𝕸en were simple creatures, that much was known.

Alaelanna took a deep breath, twisting the last of her braids into some form of crown as she watched herself in the looking glass. She supposed that she looked like her mother when the elder woman had married, but there was no happiness in this day. The morning had come, bringing forth the official news of her grandfather being dead and the news of both a wedding and a coronation to happen in the same few days. Yet, if they thought that it would stop a war then they were truly fools. 

Nothing would stop her mother, not even a marriage between Alaelanna and Aemond, though she knew the Small Council thought it would. 

The girl turned away from the mirror, slumping by her bed as she finally allowed herself to feel some form of fear. She had been tossing and turning for the remainder of the night, thinking of ways that she would be able to manipulate Aemond and she had never truly given herself the time to think that she would be married by the time the noon bell struck.

She was to be married, and her parents were not with her, nor her brothers and it was not even to a man she cared about. 

Her dress crinkled under her fingers as she tried not to allow herself to feel anxious, or stressed about it. She could not show fear. Not now, not in this snake pit. A shaky breath left her mouth, before finally her fingers unclenched from her dress and she straightened once more.

A knock sounded on the door, before it was opened.

"The Queen Mother." Alaelanna looked up, standing and narrowing her eyes as she watched the entry way. She had no weapons on her body, as they'd been hidden where the palace guards could not find. The princess did not doubt that they had already searched her room, trying to find something to charge her with.

Alicent was dressed in green, a crown sitting on her auburn hair as she looked at the small girl with wide eyes.

"You look like your mother."

"Why are you here?" Alaelanna replied, before remembering her manners. "Your Grace."

"It is customary for a mother to see her child before her marriage. As your mother is not here, I thought..."

"My mother is not here because you demanded it so." Alaelanna shook her head, taking a deep breath. "You have taken me from her."

"We have not taken you..." Alicent shook her head. "Alaelanna, we have not stolen you away."