Chapter 15

-Kira-

I wasted away today in the dining room this time, sitting at the far corner of the bar in some kind of effort to blend into the wall and watch the day pass as I dealt with the predicament life had shoved down my throat.

I couldn't be in the room to hear- or not hear the phone. My hope for it was gone, but the fact still hurt.

My original plan was just to hang here until one of Lucien's sisters walked in and then make a calculated exit back to his room, but none of them ever showed up.

Actually, the youngest one did, and I was ready to stand and leave until Lucien walked in right after her.

She didn't even notice me, and all he did to acknowledge my existence so far today was make eye contact with me from across the room for a few seconds before settling down with his sister for lunch, and eventually leaving yet again.

Servants came and went throughout the day for their food.

Riley was the first to come sit by me, practically throwing himself into the stool next to me and against the table with a groan.

"If they make me clean that stupid koi pond again I'm going to lose my mind," he grumbled, pulling a hint of a smile to my lips.

I don't know why. His tone was just reminiscent of a younger sibling complaining about having to empty the dishwasher.

Though... I knew the circumstances weren't exactly comparable.

Riley just overall had that 'younger brother' kind of personality. A preppy one that didn't at all show what kind of life he lived here.

If it was all he knew, then I suppose I shouldn't expect there to be a difference.

"Is that why you smell like that?" I asked, raising my head from where it rested over my folded arms.

That gunky fish smell was present, but not completely overbearing.

He sat up straight immediately, "What? No did I get it on me?!" He spoke frantically, sifting his shirt to his nose in several different spots to find the culprit.

"You're fine," I eased, "It's subtle."

"Man, I don't wanna smell like this," he sighed, "I just did the laundry too."

Another person entered the dining room after he spoke, another one I could give a name to.

"Oh there you are," Marcus spoke, heading straight for us, "Both of you. Nice to see you again, Kira."

I only gave him a slight nod. It was obvious that he was in some kind of hurry if his heavy breaths told me as much.

His attention went right back to Riley.

"I know you're in charge of the pond today, but someone forgot to add 'feeding' to your list as well."

Riley sagged in another dramatic show.

"Oh yeah? Wanna do it for me?" He asked, blinking repetitively with wide eyes in a feigned sort of beg.

"You're hilarious," Marcus deadpanned, ready to say something else, but a high-pitched beeping sound interrupted him.

He straightened and reached down for the item on his belt, hitting a button on it, and holding it to his ear.

It looked like a much smaller phone... type thing.

"Right. Yeah, I can jump in," Was all that was said before he hung up.

"They need some extra help downstairs" He spoke, already walking back towards the door he'd just come through, "Feed the fish so Evelyn doesn't kill you! And I'll see you later, Kira!"