Chapter Ten

Freshman year of college Quinn and I lived in the dorms together. One winter night Quinn returned from the library where she had been studying for one of her many literature classes. She stepped in and shook the snow off of her coat.

"God it's fucking freezing outside," Quinn said, shivering. I looked up from the new documentary on the Zodiac Killer that I was watching.

"Yeah, isn't it great?" I said, grinning.

"Not everyone has your propensity for cold weather. Is it any good?" she asked, gesturing to the television.

"It's alright I suppose. Hey, you wanna drink something to warm up?" I lifted up the contraband bottle of wine that I had been sipping on.

"Sure," she said, taking a seat on the beanbag beside me. After an hour the documentary was finished and the wine was almost gone. I was feeling pleasantly buzzed when Quinn turned to me looking nervous.

"What is it?" I asked as I sat up.

"Well, there's something that I've been meaning to tell you for a long time, and I just never found the right moment..." Quinn mumbled.

"Look, how long have we been friends? You know you can tell me anything," I said, taking my hand in hers, but she pulled away.

"That's just it. We've been friends for so long, and I don't want to do something that might jeopardize that," she said, standing up and starting to pace the room. "But I can't hold it in anymore."

"God, Quinn, just tell me. I promise it's all going to be okay." Quinn took a deep breath in.

"I liked you, Reyna, in a romantic way. I had a crush on you for ages." I blinked in surprise. I don't know what I was expecting her to say, but it wasn't that. I've known Quinn was gay since we were in middle school. But I had never suspected that she had any sort of feelings towards me.

"Oh... wait, you said ages, how long exactly?" I asked, and Quinn blushed and avoided eye contact.

"It started Sophomore year, when you helped me that one night when Taylor hit me, remember?" she said sheepishly.

"Of course I remember that. I'll never forget what that bastard did to you," I spat, the mere mention of his name made my blood boil, but I tried to clear my head and stay focused. "I can't believe you've waited all this time to tell me. Quinn, I really value our friendship too, and this doesn't change that. In fact, I'm happy you felt like you could tell me this."

"Yeah, I'm over it now, but it took years. I-I don't know why, but I felt like I had to tell you. It didn't feel right keeping it a secret even if I've moved on," she said sheepishly.

"Well, if it makes you feel better, if I was gay I'd totally be into you." I laughed. "But know that I love you so much, and I would literally do anything in the world for you." Quinn's eyes shone with tears, and I resisted the urge to wipe her eyes.

"Yeah, I know. I feel the same," she croaked, and we embraced tightly.

After that night, nothing really changed. Quinn fell in love, got her heart broken, and then fell in love again. As for me, well I never really saw the appeal of relationships. I had a few boyfriends, but I only dated them for a few months before I realized there just wasn't any spark. But I was always there to support Quinn. Afterall, I loved her, truly loved her.

***********

A few mornings after the events of the warehouse Wheaton threw down a newspaper onto the table.

"Look, we made the news again," he smiled. I stopped pushing my now soggy cereal around and read the headline he pointed at. "Tintail Killer: Two More Victims Makes 24."