Chapter Four:: The Visions

My dreams were vivid that night

My dreams were vivid that night. Like a film playing under my eyelids. A cryptic and very unfinished film.

Flashes of what I assume were flashlights filled my mental vision. Yelling of male muffled voices. Screams and protests of another.

Then the setting shifted. I was suddenly thrown into complete and total darkness, then what sounded like barking filled my ears. So clearly it felt like it was right in front of me.

The image of a bird flashed before my eyes, laid upon the skin of someone. All I could see was a zoomed in picture of the bird, not a very clear image, but a bird nonetheless.

Then, I awoke to the ground shaking and a thunderous rumbling. It startled me so strongly when I woke up that I woke up with a full on scream. So loud my throat ached and I tasted metal.

It didn't take me long to realize the sun was already rising and the boys that I fell asleep around were gone. I was alone.

I pulled my knees up to my chest and started quietly crying. Whispering to myself, "where am I?" over and over again like a prayer.

Soon, I heard multiple sets of footsteps and yelling coming towards the small shack. Gally, Newt, and Frypan burst through the door, all three looking prepared to fight someone.

When they saw me in a state of shock, each of their expressions softened, Gally's lesser so than the other two. Newt and Fry jogged up to my hammock, Frypan nearly getting his foot caught in one and busting his face on the dirt floor.

"Hey, greenie, it's okay," Frypan attempted to console me, placing his hand on my shoulder. Newt raised his hand out to attempt at stopping him, but he'd already touched it. I yelped and slapped his hand.

"Scar, mate. Remember?" Newt reminded Frypan, who looked insanely guilty and apologized at least five times. "Greenie," Newt looked right into my glazed over eyes. "It's alright. It's Newt. And Fry. And... well," Newt turned and noticed Gally had left. "Gally was here. But it's us. What happened?"

I closed my eyes, collecting myself. Then I shook my head. "Bad dream."

Both Newt and Frypan looked intensely apologetic. "Those are super common here. Everyone has them. Do... you wanna talk about it?"

"No," I immediately replied, slowly sitting up. "I really don't. There, uhm... isn't much to talk about. It was... super cryptic..."

"Okay, well, I've no bloody clue what that word means," Newt chuckled. "But, do you think I could show you around? Take a walk around the Glade? It might help."

I nodded and took his hand, allowing him to help me stand up. I turned to Frypan who smiled sympathetically. "Sorry. About... the scar thing."

I glanced over at Newt. "You told him?"