Chapter Twenty One:: Minho's Notes

Desolation

Desolation.

Computers left on, unattended.

Motionless bodies lay on lab floors.

Gone long ago.

Sirens blaring loud, no one to shut them off.

It's gone.

All the work, gone.

I found myself racing to the kitchen when I woke up, sweating and feverish. I burst through the door and found Frypan.

When he heard me come in he turned with a very puzzled yet concerned look on his face.

"Elsie? You okay?"

"Vision. I had another vision," I sat on the stool at the bar window. "It's- bad. It's really bad. I need to talk to someone and get it all out before I forget it."

Thomas and Ben came into the mess hall. I turned to them. "Is Newt up?"

"Uh, yeah. He's on his way here to see us off. Why?" Now Thomas looked concerned. "Is everything okay?"

Thankfully, Newt was very close behind. "Hey, what's going on? Els?"

"Vision," I said. Each of the boys sat with me at one of the tables. "It... was kinda blurry. Not as vivid as they usually are. Like- like old tapes that need rewound."

"Okay. What did you see?"

"It's destroyed. The lab. I think it's the creator's lab. The ones that were overseeing the experiment. It's destroyed. But there were computers still on. So... things are still running but it's... not being monitored."

"Whoah... what else?"

"A little while ago another vision came in my sleep. It basically showed the creators getting shot. It was... violent. I thought it was just a bad dream but it's... real."

"If no one's watching it though, eventually it'll destroy itself. Right?" Been asked. Newt looked lost in thought.

"We've gotta get out of here," Frypan said. "It's not safe for any of us anymore. No matter who's been here the longest."

"I agree," Thomas said, standing up. "Ben, you and I will scout out the maze today and try to find another exit. Then tonight we'll go through Minho's notes again and-"

"Wait, wait, wait," Newt held a hand up. "You said another exit."

"Yeah well, it's not... our exit," Thomas said. "It's where we think the Grievers go during the day."

"Minho and I found it a while ago and planned on doing more exploring around it but... you know," Ben frowned.

"Okay, then," Newt sat up. "That's your mission. Go explore that exit. Because the Grievers' way in could be our way out."