Chapter Eight:: Tension

This time my head was a spinning top of different scenes all smushed together

This time my head was a spinning top of different scenes all smushed together. One after the other they filtered through but the last to linger was that damned bird.

That bird on that unidentifiable patch of skin on the unknown human in her brain. In her memories somewhere. Sometime on her timeline she'd seen this but couldn't place where.

Next she heard that barking sound once again. But it soon faded and silenced. Followed by the running boots and muffled yelling. Flashes of LED flashlights in her mind.

She heard a voice in her head. It wasn't familiar in the slightest. Male, though, for sure.

"They wanna put her in the maze with him," It said. "For their entertainment."

Then, that barking came back. Getting louder and louder until it was so loud it jolted her awake.

This time she didn't scream. She shot upright and tears flooded her eyes, but she already was gaining power over these vivid memory visions.

Only, the fact she heard a voice this time was unsettling. Especially knowing what she'd heard. What it had said.

Which she vowed not to tell anyone until she'd had it completely figured out. She didn't want anyone thinking she was psycho or anything and banishing her.

She ventured out into the Glade, rubbing tired eyes and noticing she was the only one awake at the moment.

Well, she thought she was. Until she saw Minho and his running friend walk out of the mess hall, tucking things away into their running packs.

When Minho noticed a still sleepy greenie stumbling her way to the mess hall after them, he smiled and motioned for his buddy to head to the doors and wait for him.

The girl noticed he'd still been wearing the bracelet of grass she had made for him. Somehow not one blade was broken and the clover hadn't lost a petal and was still completely intact.

"Mornin', sunshine!"

"Minho, I'm gonna need you to turn down the volume like twenty notches," She shielded her eyes from the bright morning sun but still caught a glimpse of that cheeky grin.

"Nope! When you're up, you're up! Here's the burning question, did you have any crazy dreams last night?"

"Same one as last night," A lie. "It's confusing. I don't know what it means or where it came from."

"That's the deal with most dreams, greenie. Well, I'll see you later. Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone. I'd hate to miss it."

"Oh, haha," She shoved him with a light chuckle, which he returned. "See you later, dork."

Suddenly the reminder of the crossed out names who died in the maze popped in her mind.

"Hey, Minho?!" She yelled after him. He turned before continuing towards his running buddy and the walls. "Be careful!"