Chapter 10

When the following Thursday came, Ryujin arrived in the classroom with Yeji already in her seat - her head buried in a book.

Because they've agreed to stop meeting after class, she didn't know if it's appropriate to say hi in other settings. It was also a bit weird seeing her in the festival and pretending not to know about each other. They stopped communicating after that.

Taking the lack of message as a sign, she walked down past Yeji's seat without saying anything.

The rest of the class was a little awkward for Ryujin as she tried her best not to stare at the cat-eyed girl. The latter was, as always, so focused on the lessons and paid no attention to anything else.

Yeji didn't seem to mind going back to the old set up - no talking or no unnecessary interactions unless it's class-related. So Ryujin backed off completely and left her alone. It seemed like whatever Ji-min had in mind didn't work.

This went on for a couple of weeks.

You would think that because of the distance, Ryujin would outgrow this crush and actually forget Yeji - but it's quite the opposite.

Everyday, she grows wary of what the other girl is thinking about, what she's up to, who she's seeing. Even her best friend finds her overthinking slightly annoying. When the 3rd week of no-contact came, she had about enough of it.

She came in early and found Yeji in her seat. By now, she already knew the usual time when the other girl would arrive at class. She went straight to her seat and handed her a note before proceeding to her station.

She left without waiting for an answer - leaving the cat-eyed girl confused.

*

A couple of days after Ryujin unexpectedly marched up to her and left a note, Yeji arrived at the destination written on it. It's an apartment building which she assumed was where the other girl lives.

There weren't many details on the paper - just the address, a date and time. She didn't bother reaching out to her as it felt weird - since they're not really on speaking terms anymore. But seeing that the other girl's sudden cold shoulder threw her off a bit, she decided to entertain the invite.

Yeji didn't know what to expect after that incident at the festival. But since then, Ryujin pretty much ignored her in classes and gave her the civil treatment. It wasn't like she was nice to her, and maybe it's purely a give & take relationship. That's what she told herself.

But she wouldn't deny that she did have a moment of questioning when the other girl suddenly stopped talking to her without a warning. Not even a single annoying smile or recognition except for the class-related interactions when she had to hand in and collect exam papers and outputs.

"I wasn't sure you'd come", Ryujin stepped out the building's entrance to greet her. She's holding a helmet on her left hand.

Yeji could hear the intensity in her voice. "Could be a life or death situation so I figured I might as well come."

She smirked at the other girl and was answered with a chuckle.