Chapter Four

[A/N]  From now on this book will be updated every Friday !  ・°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°.  So the next chapter will be posted in 4 days...

I woke up with Milk on my chest jumping just with his front paws to get me to wake up and get him some food.

I was late to wake up again, and I could see that the breakfast supplies were dwindling as I approached. I was too hungry to care and went straight to the kitchen first thing. Normally I fed Milk in my room because he had a habit of jumping on people's laps. 

That was just Milk though, enthusiastic, compared to how flat and disinterested everyone else was he was like a bright light in a dark space.

Still I picked him up and put him back behind the modified baby gate when I was done, because Milk liked to follow me to school otherwise, and given any opportunity was pretty good at finding me if he got out, so his bed and toys were mostly on the upper floor of the house.

I picked up his muzzle and buried my face on the top of his hair, between his ears, kissed him and paused for a moment, charging my energy from he happy panting bright eyed dog, whose tail was fanning the steps, and finally let go, leaving, looking back to see his snout pressed up through the bars of the gate, still happily panting. 

I picked up my phone from the table and grabbed my backpack. 

"You don't want a lift?" Irene asked me as I got ready to leave.

"No." I replied.

Colby tilted his head at me. "Aren't you gonna eat breakfast?"

"I've eaten."

Irene sighed and sat back down. "Let him be, if he wants to be sulk."

I stared at her for a moment, then pulled my backpack on and took a deep breath, leaving.

Sometimes I wanted to fucking shout at them, get up in their faces and just have at it, but I knew I'd be in the wrong, I'd be the mental patient there, and the aftermath of that wouldn't even be worth the brief relief of it.

It sucked, you know? When the morning arrived and everything seemed so calm and perfect for a moment, so peaceful, birds in the cherry tree in our yard just outside my window, singing, Milk sitting heavy on my chest, panting and licking my hand as I raised it. Calm and perfect in our solitude, for a moment. Then the day started, and before the serenity had slowly dripped from my bones I was reminded of who I was.

I took a long walk to school and got there late.

The teacher briefly told me off but when I got up to my desk I realised it was somewhat clean.

Whoever had scribbled on it, I realised, had been caught, and made to wash it off with a damp paper towel, not quite enough energy was put in to wipe it all off and a piece of the blue paper was still on the table but I found my first smile of the day in that.

~⌣︵⌣︵⌣︵⌣︵⌣︵⌣~

At lunch I sat with the diary and reread the past couple of pages over and over for a while. Nothing had really happened that day worth mentioning, was I supposed to write down that I massively failed a quiz in Mr Henderson's class? I got one answer right by accident, I thought I checked another box.