Chapter Thirteen

[A/N] Better late than never!

All my family and friends have their birthdays in clusters. Tomorrow I'll be off again from morning till night. I'll do my best to finish all my writings regardless.

Onwards onwards!

"What will it take to get you to let me go?" I asked, my voice was calm, like my head, steady and unbothered, but from a distance I felt a tremor moving through my soul from my closeness with the strangely icy figure with his dark eyes and perfect lips.

From this close I could see how worn the clothes were, there was blood on his shirt and pants and probably on his leather jacket too, tiny black specks that almost looked like dirt.

He tilted his head slightly, the lack of change in his expression gave him a slightly psychopathic quality, along with the way those eyes seemed to look down on me. 

Between us there seemed to be a tenuous, thin string of interest, barely connecting us. But nothing more, nothing that would save me if he thought I was going to get in the way of whatever he was up to. 

When I looked the guy in the eyes all I could think was 'this guy could kill me', and maybe it was because I'd already seen him kill, or because that was simply the atmosphere he gave off, the crackle of danger like electricity pulsing in the room, leaving my hair standing on end, my heart beating consciously slow.

"So you do want me to let you go?"

I raised a brow. "Of course."

"I thought you liked me hitting you. Or maybe you wanted to die."

I didn't reply.

He licked his bottom lip briefly, then glanced back at his friend, Pike said nothing.

He cracked his neck on the left shoulder, then the right, and got up. "I'll let you go if you promise to be quiet about what you've seen."

"I-"

His eyes were bright and cold as he looked down at me next, locking eyes with me. "You watched me murder a man, stab him to death, wrap him in plastic. He'll be set on fire, and when the fire is out we'll take those remains and melt them down till there's nothing left. No one who ever knew him will ever see him again, his friends will wonder where he went, his employer, his family. They'll cry about it, maybe if you tell the police in time they'll get some peace..." He hummed, his voice just as cold as before.

I looked up at him like I was talking to a snowman, hard like ice.

I remembered making one as a kid. Rolling the snow together on a particularly busy winter in the park. Just me. I didn't have clothes my hands were red and burnt by the end of it. I managed a small thing, two globes of snow. When it became warm the next day it started to melt, I thought it would be gone by the next.

The next day I visited the park it was snowing again and just as I was approaching a kid, smaller than me, was lifting his boot to smash it and somehow it ended with him on the floor sobbing for a brief second or two before his mother got him. The head had separated from the body but it was still intact, the globes had turned to ice.

"I don't care." 

He stared at me for a moment later, the snorted and turned away like he was going to leave.

I pulled forwards in a hurry. "I'll keep my mouth shut on one condition."

He looked back, his expression looked permanently disinterested and cold but I could see he was at least slightly intrigued.