36

The great hall suddenly became very quiet. Princess Duanyang's face turned thoroughly red and water surfaced on her eyes as she no longer dared to look at Liu Fuyi's face.

Dowager Consort Zhao's expression was somewhat bizarre. She kept covering her hands with each other, her sharp nail guard poking at the back of her hand yet, she seemed to feel nothing at all.

After a long period of silence, Mu Sheng broke the quiet, "And then?"

His voice was very calm and cool, almost indifferent. It felt as if he was completely on a different plane of existence from the princess's shame and indignant mood. Like he was completely unaffected, and without any pity in his words at all. Mu Yao was somewhat astonished as she lifted her head.

The anger and resentment within Duanyang's eyes smoldered as she turned so angry she started to shake: "Impudent!"

Ling Miaomiao secretly poked at Mu Sheng's arm, wanting him to put away his slight smile that was completely coming out at the wrong time, "Your highness, please don't blame Young Noble Mu for being rude. He's actually very nervous inside. We have to learn the true events in order to protect you."

Liu Fuyi nodded and leaned forward: "Miaomiao is right. Your highness, please don't have any misgivings. There are no outsiders here."

Only with all this did Duanyang get consoled and calm down. She still felt somewhat wronged as she clenched her teeth, painfully recalling her dream: "And then... and then they tied up this princess on a pillar... right in front of those Bodhisattvas, and started to choke my throat..."

The end of her nightmare was the sky filled with red light. In the dark, gloomy but spacious temple halls, fire dragons curled around every room beam and every pillar rose up at a rapid speed.

Thick smoke billowed everywhere and in just a moment, covered up all of her vision.
Red clouds engulfed the bodhisattvas in all kinds of positions on the ground, their sculpted expressions became suffused with red light.

They all started to make strange laughs and giggles, mixed in with the wailing, brought waves of hot air smelling of burnt things, turning the temple halls into a massive steamer.

As for her, she was the offering in the middle of the steamer.

Like a fiery comet streaking across the sky and landing, in her stifling pain and anguish, starting from her feet, she felt her skin being ripped apart inch by inch.

The person in front of her choking her neck had already turned into a ball of fire. Their body repeatedly made scary crackling noises and their voice sounded just like the screech of a ghost: "Goddess, we're offering you as a sacrifice for all living things."

"And that's it." Duanyang's large eyes shot a peeved look at Mu Sheng, however her shoulders shook from recalling such terrifying matters: "Are you satisfied?"

"Your highness, thank you very much for your cooperation." Mu Sheng lightly smiled, his smile was filled with the unique air of a youth's innocence.

Giving the impression that if he was faced with secular or worldly matters, he wouldn't understand in the slightest, "You can go back now."

Duanyang's face turned purple from holding in her anger. She turned around, wanting to get her mother to help her uphold justice, but unexpectedly discovered that Dowager Consort Zhao completely hadn't noticed Mu Sheng's expression.

She still maintained her posture with her hands over one another. The look in her eyes was complicated as she stared
at the table, large amounts of cold sweat pouring out of her temples.