50

Photo above: Resentful spirit of Tao Ying

The palanquin looked shabby but she realized it was quite comfortable as soon as she sat down. However, the ghosts were not very steady while carrying it, rocking it to the point where Miaomiao started to feel sleepy.

Even so, she still lifted the curtain slightly watching the darkness pass her by. It didn't matter if she was terrible with directions, it was essential for her to beat this path into memory.

"Princess, please don't worry..." The old man floated next to the palanquin throughout their journey and considerately lowered her curtain. "We'll be able to find Young Master Liu very soon."

From inside, a voice full of contempt sounded, "What Young Master Liu? We're completing the ceremony. Are we not?"

The old man was surprised and a few seconds passed before he was able to react. He chuckled, saying, "Uh... yes, yes, yes, it is as Your Highness has said."

Unable to help himself he took a glance at the palanquin. "The Goddess deserves her title. So, she knew this as well..."

Ling Miaomiao yawned and knocked on the armrest. "Hurry up, this princess feels a bit impatient to return to her place!"

Even if Tao Ying had turned into a resentful spirit, he still couldn't let go of his revenge. He still had not forgotten about the ritual which Duanyang had not completed ten years ago. And at the end of the Chang'an City arc, he used elaborate tricks to lure Duanyang into the illusion, ending his revenge on the royal family with a grand flair.

Originally, he had wanted to witness this historic moment in person. Unfortunately, he was held up by Mu Yao, who was more troublesome than expected, throwing his plans into disarray.

As for the matters on this end, he could only leave it to his disciples.

The palanquin rocked rhythmically. An overwhelming bout of exhaustion swept through her and despite knowing there was something suspicious about the resentment spirit's palanquin, she still couldn't help but fall asleep in the dim interior of it.

*

Quiet panting.

The main hall of Xingshan Temple was lit with a faint candlelight. On both sides of the ground, were garishly colored "Yab-Yum"-shaped statues. Some were entangled like snakes while others had been shattered into dust, making the ground a mess.

He looked up at the blackened golden Buddha, the sweat rolling down to his collar.

Nine Mysterious Demon Restraining Pagoda was spinning so quickly atop the beams of the tall hall that it was whistling. In the places where its golden rays shone, the air dried.

Wisps of black shadows were pulled into the heart of the pagoda and from these wisps, hair-raising wails could be heard.

The blood of the resentful spirits on Liu Fuyi's hands and clothes dried and hardened like red wax--resentful spirits filled the entire hall. the presence of living entities completely gone.

He hadn't confirmed Mu Yao's safety but he had already gone against the rules he lived by. After killing for two hours straight, he leaned against the altar, letting the Nine Mysterious Demon Restraining Pagoda open the killing array.

The Buddha statue also looked at him with a smile that was not a smile at the same time.

"Liu Fuyi..." A nearly indistinct sound traveled to his ears. The shadow gathered itself together with some difficulty to form a human-like figure, standing motionless behind him. Only half of his face was left after being burned by the golden light of the Nine Mysterious Demon Restraining Pagoda, serving to make him look even more resentful and terrifying. "Demon catchers catch and eliminate demons, spirits and ghosts are under the jurisdiction of the underworld. Are you not interfering with matters beyond your reach?