46

When Mu Sheng returned, the spots beneath both Phoenix Trees were already full.

Princess Duanyang hugged Lui Fuyi, her black beads staring at him were full of love as she protected him. Upon noticing Mu Sheng arrive, the sleepiness within her eyes immediately transformed into alarm, the words 'Don't you dare do anything to my Brother Liu!' written all over her face.

Mu Sheng was too lazy to bother with her and turned around to walk to the other Phoenix Tree. Below the tree slept a young girl curled up on the ground. The jacket around her had already slid off but she still hadn't noticed.

With a single, cold glance, he saw Ling Miaomiao's brows tightly knit. He didn't know what kind of dream she was having but it was very clear that she wasn't sleeping so well.

In the middle of the night, the temperature was very low. It wasn't suitable for sleeping outdoors at all. Pampered little flowers like her who had never experienced wind or snow, for them to sleep like this would mean that she would very likely become sick later.

Ling Miaomiao ... he frowned. He had said not to rush over here too quickly yet she had actually treated his words like air, completely ignoring them.

For a person with a poor sense of direction, how amazing of a miracle was it for her to actually find her way to the correct place through such a long, winding and complicated path.

And now, just directly going off to slumberland out here in the wilderness...
Mu Yao had already silently made her way to Liu Fuyi's side and was unaware of what she was negotiating with Duanyang.

Mu Sheng watched with an emotionless face as he saw from a far distance away how his sister wiped Liu Fuyi's face with an expression chock full of love.

He picked up the coat lying on the ground and covered Ling Miaomiao again. He also picked up a few pieces of firewood and placed them into the fire, kindling it up again.

The girl's tears slowly dripped down her face with the exact dream she was having unknown
- "Mother..."

Mu Sheng was startled.

In his memory, Taicang County only had a mayor of the county, with no wife in sight. For many years the county had not had the sound of string instruments filling the air. I Their house was both cold and cheerless.

Ling Miaomiao was such a simple-minded person yet she also didn't have a mother's care growing up.

A strong feeling of finding a comrade arose in his head, a comrade who was as pitiful as he.

The frown on his face lightened somewhat, as if somehow in the depths of this quiet night, he could even share the loneliness deep within him with someone else.

*

"Mother..."

"Stop calling me mother!" A stick slammed into the boy's thin shoulder blades, leaving a streak of purplish red. "It's all because of you, it's all your fault, it was all you! How else would you and I have ended up here in this situation?"

Her eyes were filled with the misty waters of Xizhu lake and her lips coated in rouge were the horizon's most beautiful afterglow.

It was still her, the same woman whose beauty was unparalleled. However, she was tenaciously staring at him with bitter resentment, "Do you remember where we are going tomorrow?"

Choking back all of his tears back into his throat, he nodded.

"Good child." She rubbed his head, the hate and rancor within her eyes as sharp as an arrow. "That man is our family's enemy. Once we kill him and give him no chance to reincarnate, then we will be able to find a path to walk."