Chapter 39

Jake was looking at the unconscious Ari who was laying on the bed. currently, they are in the palace's infirmary. Jake being Caelias's now official guard got permission from the king and was allowed to visit and stay with Ari anytime he pleased.

he was so worried about her that he couldn't get up and leave even though he has other things to do. He was with her not leaving once since she was brought here, he only leaves for a moment when he needs to go to the bathroom or pick up his food.

"Whoever this to you needs to pay...don't worry you'll get justice soon and your best friend will get out," Jake said softly as he held her hand. he knew the culprit wasn't Aderi which is why he feels uneasy leaving the room since that person might finish the deed.

Jake can't help but think about that exact moment he got the news.

°
°

"Jake I've finally received the documents needed for the trial of Duchess Callista...I need you to get ready all the evidence we have on hand" Caelias said as he placed an envelope on the table sliding it to the other side where Jake is.

"I see..." Jake said as he took the envelope and look through the document himself.

"When do you plan to have the tri-," Jake said asking a question but several knocks can be heard from outside Caelias's office, the knocks interrupted their conversation.

"Come in!" Caelias yelled at the person on the other side. the door opened revealing one of his loyal knights, the knight was panting hard.

"Lady Callista...Miss Duncan..." The knight said between his breaths, he doesn't know where to start. At the mention of their names, both Jake and Caelias got nervous, as if they knew something bad had happened.

"Miss Duncan was pushed on the stairs and Lady Callista is the suspect and she is currently being arrested right now!" The knight said finally letting out a throughout explanation. both men stood up from their seats.

"Where are they?" Caelias and Jake both asked at the same time with the same question.

"Miss duncan is being treated and Lady Callista is being taken in the dungeon, yet they are not granting anyone to enter the dungeon at the moment due to the lady being questioned" The knight answered.

"Let's go to Miss Duncan first since Aderi cannot receive any visitation until the investigation is over," Jake said looking at Caelias. caelias nodded agreeing with Jake.

"Make sure Aderi is safe, since you are a knight you are free to go there, please keep an eye on her the others might take advantage of her or they might go harsh," Caelias said to the knight giving him an order. the knight bowed.

"As you wish, your highness," He said taking the order. Caelias looked at Jake and nodded. Jake nodded back and they went straight to where Ari was.

°
°

"Is she gonna be okay?" Jake asked the doctor anxiously. the doctor nodded.

"Yes, she will...although, I don't know when she will wake up" The doctor responded. Jake gulped and nodded.

"Are there any signs or hints of the culprit?" Caelias asked the doctor as he crossed his arms.

"No signs of struggle since we presume she was pushed when her guard was down..." The doctor responded. both men nodded.

"Jake...you know what you have to do," Caelias said as he looked back at Jake.